Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2004

e31 is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

I am replacing my lifelines this winter, but am unsure of the proper tool to use.

The roll swages which rigging shops use are the best but are expensive. I would like to use a hand swage and do it myself. Are the $30 tools any good? Has anyone used this to rebuild their lifelines? I know there is a more expensive manual tool (around $200), but I don''t know what advantage that has over the cheaper version.

I welcome any thoughts from those that have done this already.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

E, I''ve carried the hand swage tools (both sizes) for perhaps 3 decades now, used them for many things including making lifeline mods and changing out lifelines on multple boats (tho'' not my current one), and I''ve had no reason to expect the quality of the swages to be any different than when using the large tool (which I''ve also been able to use many times). Be sure to follow the directions on how to swage an oval (ferrule) properly, and consider using a ratcheting socket wrench to speed up the operation.

Having said that, each time I dig out one of the wrench-operated hand tools, I''ve regretted not buying the large swage tool many years ago. Every job is easier and quicker. So my advice would be to consider buying the big tool now and enjoying its ownership for a long time.

Jack
Old 11-19-2004

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

I''ve used both sizes of the hand swaging tools on various pieces of rigging with good success. It''s just a bit slow, but it works well.

Gerhard
Old 11-20-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

This may be off base, but are we talking about swaging tools or nicopress tools here? Nicopress are the lead or other soft metal sleeves that are crimped onto stuff like wire halyards to make eyes. While they may technically be swages, in that they involve the pressure-forming of the metal sleeve around the wire, they''re not considered as strong or reliable as what is termed around here to be a swaged terminal - in marine usage, a stainless steel fitting pressed around the straight end of a wire. I believe they''re put on with a hydraulic press, and are used on standing rigging and lifelines because of the need for increased reliability in these areas. I would hesitate to use nicopress fittings for lifelines, if that''s what''s being discussed here.
Old 11-22-2004

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

I bought the $200.00 tool for my lifelines and am glad I did. Johson marine has special fittings for lifelines and the instructions are included. These tools are not recomended for standing rigging.
Old 11-25-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Lifeline swaging tool?

I have the "swage it"tool from west marine .Its the larger of the two sizes and at 50 bucks its a good tool.I am using it for standing rigging,for life lines I am simply using multiple cable clamps in case I need to do some re-adjusting later the swages are too permanent.