Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: New West Marine Lifejacket?

I bought two of the coastal cruising PFD's last year from west marine; which happen to look identical to this one. Don't like them at all. They have a tendency to ride up on the back of my neck.

Quote:
I never could understand why offshore life jackets would be made of shades of blue. gray, white, and black material. Are they supposed to be hard to see?
They are orange when they inflate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by algee View Post
I never could understand why offshore life jackets would be made of shades of blue. gray, white, and black material. Are they supposed to be hard to see?
This one might be orange as noted, my mustang is bright yellow when inflated, be it the blue, red, bright pink or yellow ones deflated. now I need to find a periwinkle one that spouse wants.......

Marty
Old 11-30-2013

radcat is on a distinguished road

I went to West Marine and checked them out last week. I compared one to a similar model by Revere. The build quality of the Revere seemed much more substantial to me. Plus, I think Revere is made in the US, the West Marine model is an import. Make sure you are comfortable with the country of origin especially when it comes to safety gear.
Old 11-30-2013

From what i have seen, West Marine stands behind there products. Being a import doesn't necessarily worry me.
Old 11-30-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
From what i have seen, West Marine stands behind there products. Being a import doesn't necessarily worry me.
I think that Radcat was referring to how well made it is for your safety at sea. I agree that most of West's products stand up pretty well. However, if your family has to find your body to return the PFD I am sure that West would honor the guarantee
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
I think that Radcat was referring to how well made it is for your safety at sea.
Given the heat that WM has seen in the last year or so with their PFD's i'd have complete confidence in their PFD's. NOW... is it the best possible PFD? Probably not. If you are willing to spend the money i'm thinking that you will get a much better safety/PFD. For the price i would think that it would meet the needs of most off-shore sailors.
Can it be outfitted with leg straps? Storm hood? Don't know. It's al about risk VS how much money you are willing to spend. How much is your life worth? If your dead will you care??
Old 11-30-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

One of the best is here from Mustang:

It is hydrostatic which is the best choice for someone sailing. The non-hydrostatic inflatables can inflate if splashed - a hydrostatic has to be underwater for it to inflate.

In Canada they are only approved if worn so it cannot be on the seat next to you as a conventional lifejacket can. Not sure about the US
Old 11-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I got the WM PFD a few days ago.

It is made by Kent.

It isn't as comfortable as my Mustang inflatables, but it fits pretty well. It sits higher to put the harness higher up on the rib cage. For the price I'm happy with it, but when I'm not tethering I may continue to use my manual Mustang.
Old 11-30-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
One of the best is here from Mustang:

It is hydrostatic which is the best choice for someone sailing. The non-hydrostatic inflatables can inflate if splashed - a hydrostatic has to be underwater for it to inflate.

In Canada they are only approved if worn so it cannot be on the seat next to you as a conventional lifejacket can. Not sure about the US
That looks like the commercial PFD that is the ONLY inflatable ok for commercial usage here in the states. And YES, one has to have them on your body to be counted as a PFD on the boat.

At the end of the day, one has to have and buy a PFD that will hopefully work in the environment they will be in. 90% of us will never see offshore useage. BUT we may want to be tethered in where we sail, so the D-rings is nice to have, as are other parts one might have for an offshore use PFD. So if the pfd is not as strong, but will hold up in the conditions you may find yourself.......It worked!

Kinda like buying sails for you boat! do you want a really heavy dacron with leather and all the other bells and whistles? or will a light cloth laminate work just as well or better offshore or inshore? Or a folding vs fixed prop? diesel vs gas motor? outboard vs inboard?............. shall we go on as to which is better where when why and how come?

marty
Old 12-01-2013

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

That is not what you see when your in the water and they are deployed. The floatation tube is usually a bright color.
1976 #552