Old 12-05-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Poor quality stainless rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
His name is Greg Rubin, handle Stumble.
Here is a link to his profile: SailNet Community - View Profile: Stumble

He is in the Titanium business but must have strayed once as his signature says he is an attorney.
Titanium use in all metal products has been on the increase. It used to be very cost prohibitive ! Titanium values are 0,05 to a positive +0.06 Please do not ask me what this means as to how it will react . I know the one value is the cathode and one is the anode Call the PE to explain.
Good day, Lou
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Poor quality stainless rigging

thanks lou...

about the plates...what mi tiempo said is key as do you...everything especially on a crusiing boat is in essence a compromise as it should be, a cruising boat cannot be racer is its loaded down...a full blown racer makes for a lousy full time cruiser unless you use it as a racer...etc...pack light...sail it like a dinghy etc...doesnt mean it cant be done either.

the same goes for equipment...yeah I could have titanium or chromoly chainplates but why?

304 stainless polished and buffed for cheap down here will last me 10 years(probably a lot more) but Ill check them every year so Im not worried.

304 is a compromise I guess but we forget that many 50, 60, and 70s boats came standard with 304 plates anyways...so is it bad to reinstall what lasted 20, 30, 40 years? my common sense says no.

to add to that resale...most of us dont keep boats for 30 years...the majority resells...

my second boat was full bronze everything but the 7/19 316 wire rigging...as this looked more traditional versus 1/19 rigging...however all turnbuckles were full bronze not chrome plated bronze. all pins bronze, all fittings, clevis pins, shackles, etc all bronze, all fasteners, the shaft, the shaft plate on the stuffing box, etc...

there was only a stainless pushpit someone gave to us as the boat didnt have any support on the stern...my crew wanted something to sit against at the tiller.

it looked hideous when you compared it to all the beautiful patina bronze we had from the tip of the main mast down to the keel

so yeah now, in this economy and on a glass boat I wouldnt sweat it too much regarding whats BEST as this term on a boat is too vague given the end useage of certain materials...

hope this makes sense....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook