Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Poor quality stainless rigging

I walked into my shop today and there was a guy waiting for some parts to be modified. I asked what he was having done and he handed me what looked like a 1/2" stainless bolt that was being modified to have a round rather than hex head. It looked just like a threaded terminal for heavy boat rigging and he confirmed that it was. He named two big well known quality boat manufacturers he was doing the work for.
I looked at the bolt threads and although it had been polished, they were seriously pitted. After he left, I looked in thebox he left for more to be done and noticed 6 of them in a bag from McMaster Carr and they were all equally bad. They almost look as if they were cast in a poor quality mold rather than turned on a screw machine.
When the parts get sent out I intend to suggest they find a supplier of better quality stainless. This looks like cheap chinese stuff that I would not allow on my boat. I may even call the boat company and suggest they inspect the parts.
Any ideas on what I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Poor quality stainless rigging

A few months back I looked into quality bolt manufactures. The one that seemed good has the letters THE in raised print on the head of the bolt. Get the THE bolt in 316 SS. THE is a Tawain bolt manufacturing company that looks to make quality bolts and nuts- they look to be the largest in the world.

I would question rounding off the head of a bolt. The bolt head might be forge and rounding would severly lower the bolts strength. Also, the bolt now needs to be polished and passivated.

http://www.the.com.tw/E/body.php

Tong Hwei has grown to be the leading Stainless Steel Fasteners manufacturer in the world. We not only specialize in standard products to the international specifications but also are skillful in the engineered products to blue prints. Our logo " THE" is recognized as the best brand of Stainless Steel Fasteners. Our mission is to offer a high level support and service to customers through a wide product range along with efficient correspondence, superior quality, reliable delivery performance and competitive pricing.

1978 TONG HWEI was founded at Gang Shan, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, producing Steel Bolts & Nuts.
1985 TONG HWEI massively installed new machines and concentrated on developing Stainless Steel Bolts & Nuts business.

1986 TONG HWEI massively installed new machines and concentrated on developing Stainless Steel Bolts & Nuts business.

1994 TONG HWEI acquired certificate of ISO 9001 Quality Management System.

1995 TONG HWEI invested to establish MIN HWEI located at Ping-Nan Industrial District, Ping Tung, Taiwan, specialized in producing Stainless Steel Self Tapping Screws, Machine Screws, Chipboard Screws and Wires. MIN HWEI acquired certificate of ISO 9001 Quality Management System.
TONG HWEI installed the first Automatic Warehousing system with 9,048 locations.
1998 TONG HWEI acquired certificate of ISO 17025 Chinese National Laboratory Accreditation.
2005 MIN HWEI enlarged land size to be 42,000 square meters and triplicated production capacity.
2006 MIN HWEI built up the Automatic Warehousing system with 24,000 locations.
TONG HWEI relocated at Gang Shan, Kaohsiung, Taiwan with land size at 100,000 square meters and massively installed new heavily installed new machines to triplicate production capacity.
A new automatic warehousing system with 50,000 locations was built up.
2007 TONG HWEI added Stainless Steel Threaded Rods to production line.
2010 TONG HWEI and Min Hwei invested Ming Hwei Energy Co., Ltd. (www.mhe.com.tw) at Douliu City, Yunlin County, Taiwan for producing Solar Cells & Modules with annual production capacity of 60MW.

Land area: 100,000M2 (1,076,000 square feet = 25 acres)
Numbers of employees: 220
Quality System: ISO9001 / ISO 17025
Main Products: Stainless Steel Bolts, Screws and Threaded Rods
Production capacity: 6,000 MT/month
Automatic Warehouse system: 50,000 locations
Main Production Process: Wire Drawing, Forming, Threading, Passivating, Packing and Warehousing

Last edited by casey1999; 11-27-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

The bolts from McMaster-Carr are NOT labelled THC but there is a bag of bolts that is so labelled. They look somewhat better but still have smaller pitting.
Old 11-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
The bolts from McMaster-Carr are NOT labelled THC but there is a bag of bolts that is so labelled. They look somewhat better but still have smaller pitting.
THC or THE? I have never seen new bolts pitted. Pitting is usually caused by crevice corrosion in stainless and the bolt would need to be subjected to salt water to get pitted.
Old 11-28-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
THC or THE? I have never seen new bolts pitted. Pitting is usually caused by crevice corrosion in stainless and the bolt would need to be subjected to salt water to get pitted.
Any water without the presence of oxygen will cause crevice corrosion. Most corroded chainplates corrode from rainwater entering the deck and surrounding core. Salt is not required, acidic rain water can cause it as well.
Old 11-28-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I had a rigger over for dinner today.
I just asked about the bolts.
He said the THE bolts are the better brand.
THC are different and not as good.

Of course from his point of view you should pull the bolts and check them every few years anyway so if that is done either will probably work fine.
Old 11-29-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I'd be very surprised if McMasterCarr supplied bolts of inferior quality, as everything I've ever had from them has been top notch.
Old 11-30-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I'd be very surprised if McMasterCarr supplied bolts of inferior quality, as everything I've ever had from them has been top notch.
They might not even be aware of a ( nock off ) or a substitution The also buy from a source. Many times I have been on a job100 ft up bolting a ss flange needing 12 bolts 11 may be quality and one somehow gets in the unopened sealed bag and is a different manufacture. Sometimes they meet the engineering specification but You need 12 of the same. It is now a habit to check each one before the climb.
I also recommend a good quality nickel anti seize.
Good Day, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 11-30-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add anti
Old 11-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Might have had better luck smoking them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

Well they don't make anything, just send out specs and go with the cheapest supplier they think they can get away with. I would not be surprised at all. They likely were sent a good batch as a sample and then got cheaper ones in following deliveries. They would have to sample every delivery, and I don't see that happening. There seems to be a real lowering of quality from the Chinese stainless steel. Seems everyone is trying to save a buck.
Old 12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
They might not even be aware of a ( nock off ) or a substitution The also buy from a source. Many times I have been on a job100 ft up bolting a ss flange needing 12 bolts 11 may be quality and one somehow gets in the unopened sealed bag and is a different manufacture. Sometimes they meet the engineering specification but You need 12 of the same. It is now a habit to check each one before the climb.
I also recommend a good quality nickel anti seize.
Good Day, Lou
One thing I do not understand about structural bolts, there does not seem to be any quality control or agnecy that controls to bolt quality. Say you go to West Marine, they have open bins of bolts, who made the bolt, what is the makers quality control program, what are you really buying? Seems no one really knows.

Do a seach "Chinese Stainless Steel Bolt Manufacturers"- the results are shocking when you realize the market is flooded with these bolts of unknown quality.

Maybe the answer is to buy US MIL grade bolts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.