Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-30-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: boom kicker, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Never had a topping lift, just used a pigtail to the backstay. Bought a boom kicker and installed it last year, it was a great upgrade. I love it.
yeah. that's my thing. my holiday has a topping lift. this boat only has the pig tail. every poster has been positive towards the boom kicker. i am going to check out that link for the rigid vang, though, before deciding. that might be a better option. my cal also doesn't have a vang, so, if the rigid vang is a good price, that would kill two birds with the same stone.

ok. wow. that's salty. i can make my own vang for much less. i am going to check around for deals, though, before i decide.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-30-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
CLucas (01-27-2014)
Old 11-30-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Rigid Vang is kind of a racers option... they are usually quite pricey.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Rigid Vang is kind of a racers option... they are usually quite pricey.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
that explains it. good option but out of my range. not trying to turn a $300 boat into a $3000 boat. i can't afford to. good thought, though, were i in a different financial bracket.
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Keep in mind you'll want to move the mainsail halyard to the aft end of the boom once you secure the main.

A boomkicker completely supports the boom for a VERY short period of time, when the sail is down, and you haven't moved the mainsail halyard yet to the aft end of the boom.
so, the boom kicker can't be used to completely replace a topping lift without the aid the the main halyard? is it just this type? i ask because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Mine was strong enough to support the boom wi the mainsail and cover on, and did so for years with no issues.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Depending on how you set it up (initial tension) will determine how effective the kicker will be at 'holding up the boom'.. and how much resistance it might offer the vang. However well it may provide support, though, if you're in the cockpit and stumble a bit and lean on the boom it will give under your weight.

So in the interests of stability at a mooring or dock, use the main halyard as a temporary topping lift. It will extend the life of the kicker, and at the same time avoid halyard slap as you're 'storing' the halyard well off the mast.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Depending on how you set it up (initial tension) will determine how effective the kicker will be at 'holding up the boom'.. and how much resistance it might offer the vang. However well it may provide support, though, if you're in the cockpit and stumble a bit and lean on the boom it will give under your weight.

So in the interests of stability at a mooring or dock, use the main halyard as a temporary topping lift. It will extend the life of the kicker, and at the same time avoid halyard slap as you're 'storing' the halyard well off the mast.
ok. cool. then i am getting one while the price is good. i have the necessary hardware to make a vang. i just need to get the line. that's a whole lot cheaper than a rigid vang. hell, the cost of a rigid vang is three times what i paid for the whole boat!

one question for you. i haven't heard from Michael in a bit. i was wondering if you had any idea how i should set up the main sheet. my holiday 20 has the sheet routed no more complex than my dinghy. however, i am sure i will want mechanical advantage for the bigger sail. not sure how much, though, and i can't find anything cal 27 specific, on line. you always seem to have good info, so i am sure you might have a good suggestion.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-30-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure you know very well you'll be putting much more money into this than the initial 'cost'

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'm sure you know very well you'll be putting much more money into this than the initial 'cost'
LOL. yes, but hopefully not on one small part.
Old 11-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
one question for you. i haven't heard from Michael in a bit. i was wondering if you had any idea how i should set up the main sheet. my holiday 20 has the sheet routed no more complex than my dinghy. however, i am sure i will want mechanical advantage for the bigger sail. not sure how much, though, and i can't find anything cal 27 specific, on line. you always seem to have good info, so i am sure you might have a good suggestion.
Well, maybe....

Here's a simple 4:1 diagram from Harken

With good, low friction blocks I think this amount of advantage would be plenty for you.. with cheap blocks it will take more effort, but still doable, I'd think.

Is the traveler aft or fwd of the steering position? If it's aft I'd recommend running the business end of the mainsheet along the boom and drop it back down to a block ahead of the helm position. (imagine the drawing upside down, without the cleat shown at "B").With a tiller steered boat reaching behind to adjust the sheet is an awkward move. With the sheet forward it's a natural left hand for tiller, right for sheet on Stbd tack, vice versa on Port.

Ideally both traveler and sheet are forward in the cockpit (relative to the helmsman) but in any case control lines can be led to good positions with some thought. The advantage of an aft traveler is primarily a clear cockpit without shin bangers or other obstructions to moving around.

Our cockpit has a bridge deck traveler, but the sheet is on a snapshackle so at anchor we move it to the toerail to get it out of the way. No issue when not sailing, convenient and easy to use while under way....

Old 11-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Here's a link to a 'for sale' page.. this one has the traveler and sheet forward where I like it.. is yours similar?

Cal 27 "Firecracker"

Last edited by Faster; 11-30-2013 at 10:02 PM.