Not a Member? 
Old 11-30-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: boom kicker, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Well, maybe....

Here's a simple 4:1 diagram from Harken

With good, low friction blocks I think this amount of advantage would be plenty for you.. with cheap blocks it will take more effort, but still doable, I'd think.

Is the traveler aft or fwd of the steering position? If it's aft I'd recommend running the business end of the mainsheet along the boom and drop it back down to a block ahead of the helm position. (imagine the drawing upside down, without the cleat shown at "B").With a tiller steered boat reaching behind to adjust the sheet is an awkward move. With the sheet forward it's a natural left hand for tiller, right for sheet on Stbd tack, vice versa on Port.

Ideally both traveler and sheet are forward in the cockpit (relative to the helmsman) but in any case control lines can be led to good positions with some thought. The advantage of an aft traveler is primarily a clear cockpit without shin bangers or other obstructions to moving around.

Our cockpit has a bridge deck traveler, but the sheet is on a snapshackle so at anchor we move it to the toerail to get it out of the way. No issue when not sailing, convenient and easy to use while under way....
so, you think 4:1 is good? i will be using the harken carbonfibr blocks, like the ones in your diagram. i already have a set for the jib.

the traveler is abaft the stern post. in the otboard versions, which this isn't, it's right after the companionway door.

i was thinking about running the sheet forward, a bit. i am used to the sheet dropping in from in front of me, not being low, behind me.

i will have to carefully consider where to put the cleat(s) for the main, in that case, because it won't be at the traveler.

it's something to consider. i have used west marine's european style jam cleats, on another boat, and i really like them. they hold firm and are easy to release. of course, i could mount clam cleats somewhere. the holiday uses a set up like that. however, the clam cleat is mounted to the centerboard trunk, on that boat. no trunk on this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2013

Quote:
Here's a link to a 'for sale' page.. this one has the traveler and sheet forward where I like it.. is yours similar?

Cal 27 "Firecracker"
no. that one is designed for outboard. see the cut ot in the transom? that's whay the traveler is forward. nice boat, by the way.
Old 12-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Low friction 4:1 will be fine.

Moving the traveler to that location would not be a huge job... long term I think it would be the best solution from a boat handling perspective. I've done it on previous boats before. You can see the little 'bridge' they put under the track where it spans the cockpit opening - all easily done.

Don't have much use for 'clam' cleats, not exactly sure what you mean by 'euro' jam cleats.. the standard Harken and similar 'cam cleats' work fine for me.. and can usually be setup for easy release.

What's doing on the motor front?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-01-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

if you are going to span the cockpit opening then use a Harken high beam track and there is no need for the bridge
Old 12-01-2013

Quote:
Low friction 4:1 will be fine.

Moving the traveler to that location would not be a huge job... long term I think it would be the best solution from a boat handling perspective. I've done it on previous boats before. You can see the little 'bridge' they put under the track where it spans the cockpit opening - all easily done.

Don't have much use for 'clam' cleats, not exactly sure what you mean by 'euro' jam cleats.. the standard Harken and similar 'cam cleats' work fine for me.. and can usually be setup for easy release.

What's doing on the motor front?
unfortunately, it's kind of hove to, for now. the motor is 5 hours from Michael, so it's really too far for me to ask him to go running to see it. i sent a message through this site and through email to ask the guy to take me some pictures. no answer. i have his number. probably call him after the holiday ( thanksgiving, not my other boat. lol ) and see if i can't get that back on course. i am a bit leary of buying it completely sight unseen...by myself or someone i trust.

there is a small issue of transporting it here. if Michael is five hour from him, in the same state, i can only imagine how far i am from him. so, i don't think i will be driving there to pick it up. he says he might know a long haul trucker that might get this way from time to time. i am going to get price quotes from UPS and FedEx. it may be a substantial cost to transport it. time will tell.

in the meantime, it's scraping paint, doing woodwork, getting my running rigging sorted, and a score of other things going on. no shortage of stuff to take care of. lol.

i have been thinking that i may need to see if the neighboring marina, who will be hauling her for me, will let me pay for extra time on the hard. between scraping barnacles, prepping for paint, painting ( probably doing the topsides when i do the bottom paint. the deck is fine but the topsides are faded and i don't think fresh paint would hurt ), inspecting the hull and all the through hulls, cleaning/ inspecting/working on the prop shaft, and replacing that one rub rail ( the one to starboard is cracked. also a better job done on the hard ), i just don't know if a week is going to do me. i know how to work hard ( been doing it all my life ) but a person can only do so much in a day.
Old 12-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
if you are going to span the cockpit opening then use a Harken high beam track and there is no need for the bridge
i will have to check that out. that's an option. it depends on cost. it's not hard for me to build stuff so the benefits of buying something have to balance out the cost differences.

i see his point about having the traveler forwards, however there are two detracting points about that placement, for me.

first, i don't like the idea of the sheet being dead against the companionway opening. i can just see somene sticking their head out of the door at the same time an accidental jibe occurs. i always keep a vigilant eye, but stuff happens. not sure i want a potentially dangerous line running across the companionway opening.

secondly i was going to do away with the hatch board, once i sort out what i am doing about the pop top, and build a nice set of french doors for it. having the traveler right there wouldn't work out, if i do that.

then again, if i do build a permanent coach roof to replace the pop top, i could build it strong enough to mount the traveler there. that might take care of both things.

however, the traveler is better at controlling sail shape ( close hauled, of course ) if it is closer to the other end of the boom, as it is now.

i have some time to worry about that, but i like to have all, or at least most, of my plans done ASAP. changing one thing, midway through a project, can mess up other things. that can really set you back in time and money.
Old 12-01-2013

hmmmm i almost think it would be good for a mod to just merge this thread in with the one i was previously using to communicate with folks about this boat.
Old 12-01-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

The Boom Kicker needs something pulling down against it otherwise the Kicker will come off its track at the boom attachment when the boom moves up and down. I have the Boom Kicker and a block and tackle vang installed. You need to keep the slack off the vang to keep the Kicker from coming off the track. Other than that it works great.
Old 12-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
The Boom Kicker needs something pulling down against it otherwise the Kicker will come off its track at the boom attachment when the boom moves up and down. I have the Boom Kicker and a block and tackle vang installed. You need to keep the slack off the vang to keep the Kicker from coming off the track. Other than that it works great.
cool. a fellow marylander! funny. if your name is an indicator, we share the same finances, too

cool. i have all te hardware for a vang. it's ben my plan to hae one, since the beginning. the boomkicker does seem to be the solution to a problem, though.
Old 12-01-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

Broke sailor, they have an improved boom fitting for the boom kicker. I retrofitted mine and the attachment no longer pops off. Big improvement when racing as the old slide would pop off at the most inopportune times.