Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: boom kicker, anyone?

I find lazy jacks as annoying as they are helpful on a boat this size. It is easy to flake a sail solo from the mast. I use my foot as a brake on the halyard to control the rate that the sail drops.

Lazy Jacks don't help the sail flake, they just sort of manage it as it falls, so if you care about keeping your sail neat and tidy you need to reflake it when you get back to the dock anyway.

You'll find lots of people who disagree with me. Try them on someone else's boat and make up your own mind.

If you are going to fix your gooseneck you should consider adding a cunningham and/or switching to a low-stretch halyard (<1%/dyneema based, not 3% stretch like Sta-Set or XLS, or 5% stretch like Novatech or Cajun XLE). Fixing the boom loses the ability to use the downhaul to control luff tension.
Old 12-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

On our former 24 foot day racer we had a fixed gooseneck.. on the last main we bought for it didn't attach the tack to the gooseneck shackle or tack hook.. we simply hooked the cunningham onto the tack, pulled the sail up to the black band (no winch) and adjusted luff tension with the cunningham/downhaul.. in some cases the sail came a little past the fixed boom (bolt rope main, of course).. same 'clean' lower stretch as a sliding gooseneck without the hassle.

Lazy jacks.. we use them primarily to keep the falling sail off our dodger's lexan windows.. and store them off the boom any other time - they don't interfere with the hoist (biggest beef for mast mounted lazyjack uppers).. attaching the uppers 3-4 inches out on a spreader helps there. Ours are also part shock cord so have a bit of 'give'.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2013

Greatlakes47 is on a distinguished road

Works like a champ on my Kirby 25, holds the weight of the boom and main+cover no problem and really helps in light air because it gives me much more control on the leech I can tighten or open the leech. I totally recomend it! Easy to install and best bang for your buck!
Old 12-05-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlakes47 View Post
Works like a champ on my Kirby 25, holds the weight of the boom and main+cover no problem and really helps in light air because it gives me much more control on the leech I can tighten or open the leech. I totally recomend it! Easy to install and best bang for your buck!
thanks. i ordered mine last night.
Old 12-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I find lazy jacks as annoying as they are helpful on a boat this size. It is easy to flake a sail solo from the mast. I use my foot as a brake on the halyard to control the rate that the sail drops.

Lazy Jacks don't help the sail flake, they just sort of manage it as it falls, so if you care about keeping your sail neat and tidy you need to reflake it when you get back to the dock anyway.

You'll find lots of people who disagree with me. Try them on someone else's boat and make up your own mind.

If you are going to fix your gooseneck you should consider adding a cunningham and/or switching to a low-stretch halyard (<1%/dyneema based, not 3% stretch like Sta-Set or XLS, or 5% stretch like Novatech or Cajun XLE). Fixing the boom loses the ability to use the downhaul to control luff tension.
a low stretch halyard is the only way to go, anyway. that's already on the list. although i think Fast's suggestion is a good one. i might be doing that even with the low stretch halyard. it's a good idea.

i had to get the roll stopper fitting with the boomkicker, since my boom rotates freely. they gave me a discount on it. why would a boom that is for furler reefing be made like that, out of curiosity?
Old 12-05-2013

hmmmm i always thought lazy jacks sounded like a good idea but i never got around to getting them for the holiday. perhaps it's good that i didn't. sounds like they may not be as good as they seem.