Sliding gooseneck, does it serve any purpose at all? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Sliding gooseneck, does it serve any purpose at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I have a downhaul on it already, the problem is that when I release the halyard to reef, the gooseneck slides down then gets stuck so I have to go to the mast to sort it.
I'll try and disassemble it all to try and get it a bit smoother, if it's too far gone then I'll just pin it.
Also, I have a rigid vang so a fixed gooseneck is advised I think?
Add a track pin on the Goose neck track to prevent the assembly sliding down enough to become "stuck". When reefing, remember to free the vang before slacking the halyard. The Goose neck down-haul should be arranged so that it can be easily released/adjusted when necessary from the cockpit (typically a cam-cleat on a multi-part block) and remember to ease that with the vang release. The type vang is irrelevant. Of course, if you are simply looking for a rationale/permission to fix the Goose neck, you have it. Just ensure that your method for doing so is reversible. The next owner may prefer the original design. (Remember. One never really "owns" a yacht but merely has temporary custody for some greater, or lesser, period. Think of later custodians.)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-03-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Add addenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think a rigid vang could be adding a 'binding factor' to all of this as the boom can't really drop 'straight down', instead pivoting to a degree on the vang attachment point.
oysterman23 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-03-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Ah yes, I didn't know you had a rigid vang. That might bind things up, I'm not really sure. Try lubing it all with Mclube/Sailkote first.

Pinning the gooseneck at the minimum desired height is also a good idea. I understand what you're saying about difficulty reefing. I also have to juggle the boom a bit when I reef.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-03-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Paul,
I have the same setup as you on a '76 Pearson. However I think I see in one of your photos that you have the main halyard running to the cockpit, where as I go to the mast to raise or reef the main. If that is so, then I would consider a total reworking of the gooseneck, vang and topping lift to modernize the setup for in-cockpit control of all sail setting functions.
Also, I found that a friction sail stop is not dependable for holding up the boom and sail. It will slide down over time. A screw set in the track will do the job of keeping the boom from sliding down yet is easily removable.
Let us know and see how you resolve this.
John
Old 12-03-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think a rigid vang could be adding a 'binding factor' to all of this as the boom can't really drop 'straight down', instead pivoting to a degree on the vang attachment point.
The boom pivoting around the point of attachment of the vang will limit the range of travel of the Goose neck at the mast as the distance between the Goose Neck and Vang attachment point is fixed. Accordingly, the benefit of the floating Goose neck may be obviated.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-03-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

All my lines (well, the ones I use) are led aft. The rigid vang does allow the gooseneck to slide freely, I think part of the problem though is that as the gooseneck slides down, so the end of the boom lifts up, giving a lovely full sail shape again, not ideal. Seems with the gooseneck being able to move that it just adds another set of complexity to the reefing process, something I like to try and avoid since I almost exclusively singlehand.
I don't know, I'll have a mess around with it and see if I can make the system work, maybe a couple of sail stoppers 6" below the top gooseneck position will give me the usefulness of the sliding gooseneck without the pain of it dropping right down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

As Hylyte pointed out, Paul.. it's likely that the rotation of the boom around the vang attachment makes this all a moot point, and you'd be better off with the gooseneck pinned.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-03-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

If you have a solid vang I can't see how it could be effective with a sliding gooseneck, as long as that gooseneck is allowed to move.
Old 12-04-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

The vang can change length so the sliding can work for a small amount of movement, as the gooseneck comes down the vang shortens. Problem is when it reaches the limit of vang compression, it basically becomes a fixed pivot point and up goes the end of the boom. I have a feeling I'll end up pinning the gooseneck somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If you have a solid vang I can't see how it could be effective with a sliding gooseneck, as long as that gooseneck is allowed to move.
After pondering the geometry of an archetypal rigid vang (e.g. Garhaurer), it seems evident that with such equipment, a fixed gooseneck is preferable as Brian and Faster suggest. A floating boom could work but repeatedly tuning the geometry for variation in the length of the vang would require rather more effort than the benefit conferred compared with the simplicity of a fixed boom and Cunningham. The Garhaurer, as an example relies on fixed dimensions between the gooseneck and the point of connection of the variable strut on the boom; and, the point of connection near the base of the mast. With these dimensions fixed, the varying the length of the strut dictates the vertical arc of the point of connection at the boom about the point of connection of the gooseneck to the mast and accordingly, the elevation of the outboard end of the boom above or below the horizontal to effect the shape of the main's leach. The floating boom assembly was a good technology for its objective, albeit rather more complex than a simple Cunningham, and worked well with a simple kicking strap or multi-part vang but unnecessary complicates the later, rigid vang, technology.

Here Homer Nods...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.