SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Survey for sailors... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/109490-survey-sailors.html)

Alalala 12-02-2013 11:14 AM

Survey for sailors...

Hello everybody,

I am a student from France, I live in Grenoble, and I am 21 years old. I own (well, my family does) a 36 ft Bavaria, which we use every summer to enjoy our holidays. Our boat is located in Marseille, as Grenoble does not have sea (it's an interior city). I am still learning how to sail, as my dad is the one who knows everything about it.

I'm a student in the last course in Business Administration degree also, and I'm working in the final project of the degree. My project consists of sailboats and their sails failures, in order to search new opportunities and also the typical repairs on board.

I know it's quite annoying but it would help me a lot in this project (it's important for me) if you could answer me a small survey, composed by 6 questions which are very simple.

This survey is for people that owns a sailboat, rents one for vacation or just know some people who has one of them and had some issue with their sails.

LINK:

Sail Survey (Google Docs)

Thank you in advance!!

miatapaul 12-02-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Survey for sailors...

Well you may not have ocean, you do have skiing!

Jeff_H 12-02-2013 02:01 PM

I would respectfully suggest that the survey is not all that clear as it is translated to in English.

From the content that follows, your question about "A bad experience with your sail" should probably read," Have you ever had a sail that was damaged?"

But also, the prices shown are high for 'a multipurpose adhesive' in the US. You should probably include a price in the 4 to 10 Euro range.

Jeff

Stumble 12-02-2013 02:46 PM

Alalala,

I tried to answer your questionnaire, but the questions and answers are a little oversimplified. As an example.

I currently own or operate 10 boats, six in the US, and three in Jamaica. Of those three are sailboats ranging in size from 38' to 24', while seven are powerboats ranging from 65' to 13'.

I have had bad experiences with my sails, and have used all of the repair methods you asked about to fix them at one point in time or another. I have also bought multipurpose marine adhesives, and have spent more than $1,000 at a time on them. But this was an order measured in gallons. Since your survey doesn't specify size no good answer could be given.

Secondly a multipurpose adhesive is not all purpose. Is this a sail repair adhesive? Or a structural adhesive (like epoxy), more in the range of super glue, wood glue, ect... All of which could be called a multipurpose adhesive. What I would be willing to pay for one depends on what we are talking about, it's performance relative to the others, and the quantity of the purchase.

kentobin 12-02-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alalala (Post 1178410)
Hi everybody,

I am a student from France, I live in Grenoble, and I am 21 years old. I own (well, my family does) a 36 ft Bavaria, which we use every summer to enjoy our holidays. Our boat is located in Marseille, as Grenoble does not have sea (it's an interior city). I am still learing how to sail, as my dad is the one who knows everything about it.

LINK:

Sail Survey (Google Docs)

Thank you in advance!!

How you repair a sail is predicated on a number of factor such as a) are in the middle of the ocean or in the marina, b) how old the sail is, c) how bad the damage is, d) etc.

Your pricing was in euros. You should have converted to dollars.

I also assume that the multi-purpose adhesive will be used on the sail. Is it fast setting or does it 2 days to dry. I would also be hesitant to use a product just because it is multi-purpose without any positive feedback from customers especially on a sail.

The quality of your questionnaire is equivalent to something my 11 year old grandson would produce before some adults would ask him questions similar to the ones I listed above.

benesailor 12-02-2013 09:27 PM

It appears that everyone was able to translate just fine given the language barrier.

Ease up people and go with the flow.

christian.hess 12-02-2013 10:19 PM

^^^^this!

miatapaul 12-03-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1180418)
It appears that everyone was able to translate just fine given the language barrier.

Ease up people and go with the flow.

I agree, while I noticed it it did not bother me. I know approximately what a Eruo costs in dollars, and I can figure out the Frenglish no problem. And his English is better than my French, and I lived in France!

DRFerron 12-03-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentobin (Post 1180378)

Your pricing was in euros. You should have converted to dollars. ...

If this forum was restricted to U.S. members only, I would maybe agree. But it is not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentobin (Post 1180378)
The quality of your questionnaire is equivalent to something my 11 year old grandson would produce before some adults would ask him questions similar to the ones I listed above.

Mean and unnecessary.

eherlihy 12-03-2013 12:58 PM

FWIW, I have not had a sail damaged on my boat, but did have one damaged while sailing with someone else on their boat. Beating our way through 6' swells on a 28' Sabre, we tore the jib, and repaired it with this:
http://50.63.185.175/~lifesafe/wp-co.../05/RE1175.png

I was so impressed by the repair, that I bought a roll for my boat.