Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2004

RoadTool is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

What Im looking for may not be available but I can hope cant I ?

What Im looking for is a base for deck step masts , and is dish like casting that has a series of holes around the outer ring of the dish for halyard block attachment .

What I have now is/are Schaefer turning blocks deck mounted that account for a total of 20 holes in the cabin top on top of that they are self tapped screwed , so this will be changed one way or another before uncovering in the spring ....

If I cant locate a mast base organizer I will prob either use 3/8" u bolts in the mast as low to the deck as possible and single blocks with Harken stand up springs so they dont fall on the deck when unloaded .

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2004

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

I too have Schaefer blocks but the half moon that already has the springs.

You might check with the manufacrue of your mast. They may have a mast base with and organizer flange.

On my vessel I built a 316 SS hourseshoe that fits around the mast step and mounted the blocks on that . It had 14 winches when I made the purchase. Now it''s down to 6. Every line runs back to the cockpit now . Much better for singlehandling

Here are a couple links to pictures. Hope this helps in your search and/or ideas.

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost/data/517/120mastbase6-med.JPG

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost/data/517/120deckorg2-med.JPG

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost/data/517/120deckorg1-med.JPG

................................_/)
Old 12-12-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Mast base organizer?

Yes, you need to know the manufacturer of your mast to see what they offer for that purpose. That would beat having a custom fabrication done costwise. Two links to try are www.rigrite.com and www.riggingonly.com. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2004

RoadTool is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

I understand but I have no idea who built Seafarer Spars 25 yrs ago , what i was hoping is id find something in a boat graveyard that I could possibly modify to provide , If not as I say I will drill the mast low and use U Bolts and stand up spring individual blocks and scrap my present turning blocks , 20 is 20 too many holes in the deck , after beginning removing deck hardware in the fall I reduced the holes by 18 at that time , and another job is to shorten the worthless
sail tracks to a usable length , lets face it no one needs 8'' inner sheeting tracks ..........
Tim
Old 12-12-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Mast base organizer?

Build a platform (actually two) for supporting as many turning blocks as you want.

Imagine two C shaped plateforms that stand about 1 1/2 inches off the deck placed around the mast (mast in the middle of the O made by the two C''s) Attach as many turning blocks as you want to the stainless platforms and then bolt the two platforms down with atotal of four bolts.

Sasha

P.S I can show you pictures if you wish
Old 12-12-2004

geohan is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

Re deck trackage. Would tweekers (Downhauls floating on the jib sheets to judiciously positioned deck blocks) answer your need? If the eye pads were ''inboard'' and ''outboard'' (inhaul & outhaul) you can trick the jib clew into thinking its fairlead was any place within a rectangle on deck. The higher the clew the longer the fore and aft dimmension of the rectangle. However, a fixed fairlead further aft would be required to provide a fair lead to the winch. It''s an economical and convienent way to position the jib clew for sail shaping.

FWIW, George
Old 12-12-2004

palacegrand is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

I had a similar issue with my former 25''trailerable. Added spinnaker gear, vang etc, but didn''t want to put more holes in the coachouse. Made my own out of stainless plate, large enough to fit under the mast base/tabernacle with full length tabs sticking out on all four sides. Worked very nicely, though should''ve used a thicker guage as there was some bending near the vang.

Go to www.dwyermast.com, check under "hardware" for "halyard organizer plates" for the basis of my idea.

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=19& familyName=Halyard+Organizer+Plates

You can do a cut & paste if that link doesn''t display correctly.

cheers,
jcm
Old 12-14-2004

c25 is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

You may want to take a look at Seals & Spars in California...they have plates of various sizes.

http://www.sealsspars.com/
Old 12-29-2004

kc_cmc is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

Page 38 and 39 of the Selden catlog (www.seldenmast.com) show some plates that mount under the mast heel. Those may work well for you.
Old 12-30-2004

makcap is on a distinguished road
Mast base organizer?

road tool what you need is call a wing plate
or organizer..

you can purchase one from a company in california called garhauer marine hardware
i have a catalina 30 that i just bought one for... hope this helps.. here is the

garhauermarine.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.