Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road
Prop shaft alignment

I recently installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the motor mounts. I realigned the shaft/transmission coupling. I had the boat (Catalina 25 WK) on the trailer. I have since put 6 hours on the engine and the vibration increased. Last week the boat was in the water so decided to re-look at the alignment of the shaft/transmission coupling. I could not get everything to align correctly. I then took a dial indicator to check the run out of the parts. The shaft and its coupling were within two thousands. The transmission coupling ears were out to each other over thirty thousands fore and aft. I built spacers to compensate for the mis-alignment and spent a couple of hours re-aligning. It is now smoother that it has ever been. Was worth the time and effort.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Prop shaft alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and E View Post
I recently installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the motor mounts. I realigned the shaft/transmission coupling. I had the boat (Catalina 25 WK) on the trailer. I have since put 6 hours on the engine and the vibration increased. Last week the boat was in the water so decided to re-look at the alignment of the shaft/transmission coupling. I could not get everything to align correctly. I then took a dial indicator to check the run out of the parts. The shaft and its coupling were within two thousands. The transmission coupling ears were out to each other over thirty thousands fore and aft. I built spacers to compensate for the mis-alignment and spent a couple of hours re-aligning. It is now smoother that it has ever been. Was worth the time and effort.
Sounds like someone used the gearbox coupling to press off the shaft coupling..... One reason I very often advise cutting the shaft as opposed to using an expensive gear as a press tool..

This will make future alignments very difficult if not impossible. The shaft coupling should have almost no run out at all and should be properly fitted to the shaft then "faced".... If you have the space a flexible coupling such as a Bull Flex may be your only option..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook