Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-16-2004

bista is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

My boat has been living in Lake Superior and I have always used Interlux MicronCSC bottom paint. We are going to go south to the Caribbean. Will this paint do the job in saltwater? Are there any restricted areas where this bottom isn''t allowed?

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

I have a boat that came from Lake Michigan and I an almost sure the paint is CSC because it is very hard. I looked into allot of paints but Interlux Micron Plus came up as the one that people say does very well in tropical waters. I think it was a replacement for Trilux but please dont quote that. Micron is a high ablative paint so it sheds its skin a little faster than CSC which was my second choice and if you are going to dive on the boat and don''t mind brushing the bottom about every two weeks like clock work it should do ok. In the summer the water gets so alive that you can get groth every week no matter what you use. I like the CSC because I am in Lake Poncentrain Louisiana which is a mix more fresh than salt. go to the Interlux site it has allot of info.Also practical Sailor did the best revew I have read so far.Sorry I lied it was www.cruisingworld.com/article_print.jsp?ID=200704
Old 12-16-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

Bista

I am very interested in your experiences with Micron CSC. I am in Nova Scotia and have heard that this paint is highly ablative and not so great if you scrub. I have also heard that it had fantastic antifouling properties and is very low maintenance. I am looking at this paint vs a hard racing paint.

What are your observations about the performance characteristics of Micron CSC vs something like VC17?

(... I realixe you are in fresh water vs my saltwater environment so that is why I am interested in VC 17 ...)

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-16-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

We''ve used Microc CSC for the past 7 years on Long Island Sound. In that time, we''ve won the club championship (twice, I think), and done well in a bunch of other local bouy and mid-distance racing. We''ve really liked its ease of applicability, smooth finish (we use foam rollers- it goes on fast and dries before you can tip it with a brush anyway) and the good anti-fouling results we get. We used the version with Biolux this past summer and didn''t bother to have it scubbed by a diver all season. When we hauled in October, the only growth was on the bottom of the keel, where we''d grounded in some sand and scraped the paint off. There wasn''t even any slime. From what I hear, VC17 is also good, but a LOT of work. We''ll stick with CSC. The time we don''t have to spend prepping the bottom, we can spend practicing our jybe-sets. A bad one of those can cost you more than the difference (if any) between the two bottom paints.
Old 12-17-2004

bista is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

Mike, I have never used anything but Micron CSC. When the boat was commissioned we put 6 coats on and I haven''t touched it since. There are a couple of places that need touching up now and I will add more coats before we leave.

Bill
Old 12-17-2004

gunnyman is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

From my experiances and that of a few others you need the most cuprous oxide you can find. Just about hard to come by any more here in the states due to good old government looking out for us. I use 70.2% cuprous oxide which is the highest I was avble to find. Have been told that seeing as our government is not involved when out of the country this is avialable. But you still need to move your boat quite often! Also to clean it.Good luck.
Old 12-17-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

Bill, here is the logic train I would suggest you use in answering your question:

Ablative or Mod Epoxy? In the clear/warm waters of the Caribbean, you won''t be hauling just to haul or because of the calendar, as bottom maintenance can actually be fun and certainly not too tough. For this reason, I think the answer would be Modified Epoxy. Ablatives like CSC will wear at a predictable rate, based on use and time, and will expire no matter whether you''d like to avoid a haul and maintain your hull or not. You can not ''clean'' ablatives without removing the paint; very expensive. (Boats in seasonal climates, where annual hauling is more the normal course of events, benefit from the main advantage of ablative paints - no build-up - and wouldn''t gain from the multi-year benefit of a quality Mod Epoxy.)

Chemical or Copper? There''s been a major schism in paint manufacturing since the two main customers - Europe and North America - have taken essentially opposing regulatory views on what should be embraced vs. banned. Europe has traditionally banned copper in favor of proprietary chemicals (weed killers), and so you can not find a true Mod Epoxy paint anywhere in Europe. This is because the reason it exists - to hold large amounts of copper in suspension - is absent. Meanwhile, over here we have thought copper to be king and many are unimpressed with some mfgrs. trying to add weed killers to their copper in order to improve performance while keeping cost down.

You will find that boat yards, hull cleaning services, and boat owners who are down in the ''Florida and South'' region view Petit''s Trinidad products as the best value available. I have had over 3 years service with Trinidad in St. Pete (very warm water, minimal tidal flow, no grass, no barnacles, but regular maintenance) and we now have over 3 years on Trinidad while actively cruising in Europe (with very little maintenance - it''s too cold! - so its clearly due for recovering).

Discussing bottom paint is like discussing religion, and there are certainly many reasonable choices. My hunch is that, presuming you make the run south and then stay in the Caribbean several seasons, you would find Trinidad a ''good value'' choice *after* several years of cruising, not just for a portion of that time.

Good luck on the prep. I''m sure you''ll have a ball!

Jack