2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

Re: Recognize this furler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartscharts View Post
Got it....

I'll experiment more with sailing under main alone.

-Charts
Practice using your traveler to advantage. It helps. A Lot!

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-06-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add addendum
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 09-25-2015

I have a 28' C&C designed Viking. This boat has the same Sterns Twin Stay minus the drums. I was wondering if you would think it wise to buy the durnafurl drum and related hardware to get this back to a fully functioning roller furler. All my head sails luffs are designed for this foil.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
post #13 of 20 Old 09-26-2015 Thread Starter

I love the furler. I find it much easier to deal with raising and dousing the sail. My previous boat didn't have one. The one I have is old and clunky, yet it still works.
The Following User Says Thank You to chartscharts For This Useful Post:
ddiesel (12-05-2015)
post #14 of 20 Old 09-26-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiesel View Post
I have a 28' C&C designed Viking. This boat has the same Sterns Twin Stay minus the drums. I was wondering if you would think it wise to buy the durnafurl drum and related hardware to get this back to a fully functioning roller furler. All my head sails luffs are designed for this foil.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
That headfoil was produced as a simple foil too, so I'm wondering if you can actually retrofit a drum. Do you have the halyard swivel/slider? Are your sails sized to match the luff length with the drum in place or are are they currently tacked to the deck? If the latter your sails will need cutting down assuming you can fit a drum and that the foil is designed to truly swivel.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as simple as adding the drum assuming you can find one...

btw.. we owned a V28 for ten years... great boat, pretty lines, good habits. Enjoy!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #15 of 20 Old 09-26-2015

Thanks for your response. I think I would rather put the money into this furler than dealing with modifying the sail luff and foil. Currently it only has the foil. I am going to attempt to attach some photos. Please give me your feed back. Thanks
post #16 of 20 Old 09-26-2015

Really not sure. Still learning about sailing and the boat. I am attaching a couple of pics. Currently I don't secure the foot of genoa, It is held at the top by the halyard. along the luff by the foil and at the clew by lines. Not sure pics will post I might have to keep playing with that. Thanks for your response
post #17 of 20 Old 09-26-2015

here's pics. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0075.jpg   thumb_IMG_0074_1024.jpg   thumb_IMG_0923_1024.jpg  
post #18 of 20 Old 09-26-2015
Just another Moderator

Yeah.. that's just a Stearns dual slot "headfoil".... not a furler in any sense of the word. This is not something you can 'convert' to a furler. It's simply meant to give you a smoother luff than hanks might, and to allow you to hoist a new (smaller or bigger) sail before you take the other one down (a racing advangtage). btw it's not the best foil out there by a long shot.

Your tack needs to be attached to the deck fitting somehow.. there should be a hook or a shackle or a pin to facilitate that. Otherwise you'll never get enough luff tension for a decent sail shape and performance will suffer. You can see the bow casting has two holes right behind/under the forestay/foil.. that's where your shackle should attach.

Honestly, even if you can't buck up for a decent furler I'd suggest you look into a newer, better foil (Tuffluff, if they still make it, is probably the least expensive) On today's headfoils both grooves face aft, a great improvement over the one you have.

Looks like Schaeffer makes the tuff luff still...
http://www.schaefermarine.com/our-products/tuff-luff/
ddiesel likes this.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."

Last edited by Faster; 09-26-2015 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
ddiesel (09-26-2015)
post #19 of 20 Old 09-26-2015

thanks you were a big help. I will have to research my options. I have to single hand the boat so I would like to get decent furling system. Thanks again
post #20 of 20 Old 09-26-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiesel View Post
thanks you were a big help. I will have to research my options. I have to single hand the boat so I would like to get decent furling system. Thanks again
You're welcome.. another thing.. todays foils 'slip over' an existing wire or rod forestay. If I remember correctly your foil actually replaces the forestay, so if you do go to a real furler you'll need a forestay as well. (and at this age that's not a bad idea in any case.)

Harken, Cruising Design, Furlex, Schaeffer all make decent furlers, I think the Furlex comes with a new forestay as part of the package.

However you'll probably be looking at the better part of $2K by the time you're done, and you will have to shorten the luff of all your headsails to match because the new 'tack' will be on top of the drum, some distance off the deck.

Welcome to the money drain that is boat ownership!!! she looks nice and clean, btw...

Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.