Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013

chartscharts is on a distinguished road
Recognize this furler?

Does anyone recognize the make/model of this furler? I can find no markings on it.

It seems to have only the foil, with no separate forestay. It's on my Cal 29. I have no idea if it's original or what.

A rigger once looked horrified at it and said that kind are prone to catastrophic failure. To me, it looks good, no corrosion or weak spots that I can find at either attachment point or on the foil.

If I knew the make/model I might be able to do more reading on it.

Thanks in advance!

-Charts
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013

Re: Recognize this furler?

Not sure the photo links did the right thing. Trying to just paste the links below in this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65879621@N08/11197407785/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65879621@N08/11197418684/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65879621@N08/11197544553/
Old 12-03-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Here are your pics:

I'll leave the guesses to somebody else - I don't recognize it.
Old 12-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That double edged foil looks like a Hyde Streamstay II... or not. Can't find a match...

The rigger's concern is probably that this furler doesn't install over a forestay like most modern furlers do... it IS the forestay and relies on swivel connections top and bottom that are load bearing.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Wait, really?

The foil is the head stay? I can not imagine that would be good.
Old 12-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Wait, really?

The foil is the head stay? I can not imagine that would be good.
I've seen that foil on another boat, and that's my understanding.. also I found documentation on the 'Streamstay 1' which was a single groove solid rod 'furler', same thing .

The other oddity of the furler shown above is the location of the two grooves.. they are on opposite edges of the foil.. not both facing aft like a modern foil, which must have made them a real treat to actually use properly....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here are your pics:

I'll leave the guesses to somebody else - I don't recognize it.
That is a mid-'70's era Stearns Roller furler that relied upon a solid foil which acted as the headstay in comparison with more current systems that have a foil slipped over a standard headstay. The equipment was offered as an option on certain model Cal's as it was on our former 1976 Cal 2-29 (a great boat by the way). It's actually pretty good gear although one cannot reef with it as one can the more modern equipment. Replacement bearings can (or could be) be obtained at most NAPA auto parts stores. The original instructions suggested that the bearings should be greased annually in the manner of wheel bearings, although most owners didn't do that because of the effort required to disconnect the headstay. We finally replaced ours with a Harken when we did a major refit in 1999-2000 although I didn't see a major improvement over the Stearns (when it's bearings were good/maintained) and, with its opposing slots, I found it easier to change headsails on the Stearns than with the side-by-side slots on the Harken (the new sail doesn't tend to hang up on the old).

These days many riggers, being too young, may not be familiar with the gear nor understand it's merit.

If the drum cover is still smooth, you might find that replacing the furling line with 5/16" Spectra with the cover stripped off for the length of line between the cockpit and bow will allow you more turns on the drum which is beneficial with the 135% to 155% sails.

FWIW.
Faster likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-04-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: correct typo; Add addenda; correct typo
Old 12-04-2013

Thanks for the photo assist, mitiempo!

Thanks for the replies everyone and svHyLyte for the identification. I found this based on that: http://www.rigrite.com/furling/stearn/stearn.html

Looks like I have a Stearn Twinstay One (or maybe the Dynafurl) that likely came with the original boat.

You said, "one cannot reef with it as one can the more modern equipment." May I please ask which of the following you mean by "cannot reef" ?

1. Partially furling results in a poor sail shape and poor sailing performance as a result.
2. Partially furling results in an unsafe condition that may cause the rig to fail?
3. Something else?

My big sail comes in handy in the often light airs of San Diego. On occasion, though, I've been overpowered and rolling it up a bit has really helped. I'm interested in knowing whether that's an unsafe idea, or just one that results in inefficient sail shape.

Thanks again!

-Charts
Old 12-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartscharts View Post
Thanks for the photo assist, mitiempo!

Thanks for the replies everyone and svHyLyte for the identification. I found this based on that: Stearn Twinstay One / Dynafurl One

Looks like I have a Stearn Twinstay One (or maybe the Dynafurl) that likely came with the original boat.

You said, "one cannot reef with it as one can the more modern equipment." May I please ask which of the following you mean by "cannot reef" ?

1. Partially furling results in a poor sail shape and poor sailing performance as a result.
2. Partially furling results in an unsafe condition that may cause the rig to fail?
3. Something else?

My big sail comes in handy in the often light airs of San Diego. On occasion, though, I've been overpowered and rolling it up a bit has really helped. I'm interested in knowing whether that's an unsafe idea, or just one that results in inefficient sail shape.

Thanks again!

-Charts
The "Twinstay" is simply the foil, alone. The Dynafurl included the drum, swivel and foil. The foil is not symmetrical about its longitudinal axis like wire rope, and does not do well with loads applied normal to the major, transverse axis. With the sail unfurled, the leading edge of the foil virtually always aligns itself with the sail and apparent wind so loading is always normal to the minor transverse axis. Partially furled, it can be loaded transverse to the major axis and become subject to fatigue weakening. Although I have never personally seen a Twinstay fail, "in the day" there were reports that some had (fortunately, the halyard load on the luff of the sail would continue to support the mast although getting the sail down would become problematic). I suppose if you were attentive to where the tack fittings on the drum were located you could get away with a partial furl but I wouldn't make a practice of it and, absent a fairly bulky foam or rope luff, the set of the sail would be terrible.

The Cal 29 will sail quite nicely bald headed or bald headed with one or two reefs in the main (BTDT). We started out with our boat in San Francisco but took her south in about '85. In SoCal we sailed out of Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach until '92 and covered everywhere from Santa Barbara to Ensenada without difficulty with numerous trips to Catalina. We didn't care for San Diego all that much as the Bay always seemed too crowded (it was a mad house on weekends) but we did love visiting San Diego YC and the watering holes/restaurants on Treasure Island. All the time utilizing the Dynafurl. We finally brought the boat back to south Florida in '92 and relied on the old gear until '99-2000 by which time it was pretty beaten up (after 24 years of hard use and less than ideal maintenance I have to admit.) We got a very good deal on a Harken system from JSI when we re-rigged the boat during the refit and so took it. I'll bet $10 bucks that our old Dynafurl is still laying by the bottom of the fence in our boatyard and, with a little effort, might yet be put back in commission.

If your furling is stiff/cranky, by all means buy a spares kit (once) from Rig-Rite. But, in my view, that vendor is unnecessarily expensive so once you've gotten the kit, take it over to NAPA and get the catalog numbers for matching bearings there and pick up a few for your spares locker. Unless you are insistent on partial furling, the Dynafurl will/can last virtually last forever.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-05-2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: correct typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
Capt Jack (12-06-2013), chartscharts (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013

Got it. Thanks. Makes sense on all counts!

I'll experiment more with sailing under main alone.

-Charts