Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-28-2004

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke 4-60 "MOWOG"? Any help appreciated

HELP! I can''t find enough info on this thing. Kids bought a Pearson 10M for refit from a local marine agency (seized) for a couple grand . Engine needs work. Various designations noted on Westerbeke engine. 4-60; SAOD; MOWOG; 12A987 and "9500" on side of block. Paragon transmission. Missing starter. Can anyone guide me or fill me in on finding manual, starter, history, etc. It''s an old one that hadn''t been run in 10 years or so, but 3 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil and the valves move nicely. Bell housing is coming off tough; PB Blaster might free the spline. Doesn''t "click" into reverse. Engine is out of the boat now and easy to get at. Don''t understand the cooling (FW/SW) system. Leads? Comments? Thanks for any assistance, history, information. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Westerbeke Corporation
150 John Hancock Road
Myles Standish Industrial Park
Taunton, MA 02780
Telephone: (508) 823-7677
Fax: (508) 884-9688
E-mail Link: http://www.westerbeke.com/contact/contact.cfm

Note: Please contact the Master Distributor in your area for all inquiries including sales, parts, service, warranty, and technical support.

Old 12-28-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Viexile:

What doesn''t fit for me is that you are talking about a Westerbeke 4-60 (their 4-cylinder Model 60, based on an old Mazda block) but then you mention a Pearson 10M. That boat would be way too small for that engine, and so I''m wondering if your reference is correct...or if I''m misunderstanding the reference to the Pearson.

Gord''s referral to Westerbeke is one good option, altho'' I found it hard to locate anyone there who cared or knew much about my old W60. Instead, that help came from my regional distributor; check the W website for that info.

But another source I recommend is TransAtlantic Diesel at www.tadiesels.com/index.htm. They''re very helpful and know old W models quite well.

The W60 was IMO a good engine despite being marinized in a way that made some things hard to get to (which seems a norm). It''s a lower rpm, powerful engine but it''s w-a-y long in tooth now. I swapped out my W60 because I was finding it impossible to locate new parts for it. So keep that in mind when mulling over a rebuild or serious repair.

Jack
Old 12-29-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Jack: I thought the W-60 was a 15 HP, 4Cyl, engine (2500/1800 RPM) - IMHO NOT very large for a Pearson 10 (12,441 lbs Displ.). In fact, I would have recommended a much larger engine - at least 25-30 HP (Min 1 HP / 500#) or more.
Have I got it wronge?
Old 12-29-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Hi, Gord...

I am only going on what was given us in the post, a W 4-60. The only W engine that fits that notation with which I''m familiar is a 4 cylinder engine based on the Mazda block I mentioned; my W docs for my W60 rated it at 57 hp at 2500 rpm and it was about 600#. That''s why I queried the fellow about the Pearson 10M connection; doesn''t make sense to me.

Jack
Old 12-30-2004

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. This is not a W-60, but a W 4-60. Two of us can lift it, so it taint 600#. My research indicates the MOWOG block was originally a gas engine used in the Mini Cooper autos, converted to diesel. Westerbeke seems to have been a "finisher" for many manufacturers, completing engines for GM, Perkins, etc. over the years. I ordered a manual from Torresen Marine in Michigan. I hope it ain''t the W-60 Manual. Might be easier to find a rebuild. Someone told me it was a 28 hp. engine, someone else a 20hp. Ahh, the vagaries of the boatyard. Hell of a deal on the Pearson, though. Kids have the hull stripped and are starting on deck hardware. Going to awlgrip it, "Pimp it Out" (per the boys) with multicolours, etc. and turn it against the Rolex crowd this season. G-STRING. Great. I just peek under the tarp once in awhile. Weather''s great. Thinking about Caribbean tsunamis quite a bit of late. KW