Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat performance change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
If understand it correctly, the head sail gives you power and the main gives you heal (and weather helm adjustment).
This is not universally true. It is true of many 70s boats that were designed to IOR handicapping rules.

Saying that the main gives you heeling and weather helm adjustment is also not accurate. The main still gives you power, it is just that most of these boats had 2/3rds of their sail area on the head sail. You can prove this by dropping your main sail and seeing that you slow down (unless you are in heavy air) and won't be able to point as high.
Old 12-09-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
This is not universally true. It is true of many 70s boats that were designed to IOR handicapping rules.

Saying that the main gives you heeling and weather helm adjustment is also not accurate. The main still gives you power, it is just that most of these boats had 2/3rds of their sail area on the head sail. You can prove this by dropping your main sail and seeing that you slow down (unless you are in heavy air) and won't be able to point as high.
I sail 80% of the time with only the 150% head sail. Boat is well balanced this way. And yes, head sail gives me better pointing. Sailing with main only is not an option for my boat, boat goes nowhere without head sail. I always wondered why, assuming the placement of the mast is too far back. But now we are going OT. And, as you point out performance is different for each size and design of boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

My first thought with regards to performance would be that because the center of effort of the sail is raised, then, given that there is less sail area, at the wind speed that would produce the same amount of power as the bigger/lower sail, the heeling force would be greater... but probably not enough to worry about.

With regards to the dodger design: I would lower it, and look over the top.
Old 12-10-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

Dodgers should be fold-downable. Maybe larger plastic windows would help. Walk the docks to see one that you like and then ask the maker for ideas . Smaller main affects balance, probably not a big item on the Cal as they use a variety of jibs.
Cal-29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.