Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
New headsail

So... the leach line on my smaller genoa (I would think it's maybe a 105/115 or so, reaches to just behind the mast), has snapped half way up so the sail flogs in any sort of breeze, the dacron is brittle, some seams are coming apart and the foot and the leach also were sunburnt by a PO. Basically I fear this particular sail may be pretty much at the end of its usable life. Probably a bit past it to be fair, but there you go.
Anyway, I have a reasonable condition larger genoa (would guess a 150) which is fine for the lighter air days we often get up here, but it is not going to reef down to anything approaching a decent shape in some of the heavier winds I like to go out in (20-25kts).
I guess I am now in the market for a new genoa, I'm thinking of getting something around the 115 mark, should be good for 18-20 at full size, and yet should still reef with a reasonable shape down to about an 85 for when it really starts to get a little snorty. The 150 should reef down OK to about 130 for those 12-18 days.
Any flaws in my plan? I almost always singlehand, don't race but I do like to try and have the best sail and sail shape available all the time. Would a 130 be a better all-round replacement for both? My concern is that if it kicks up a bit, the 130 might not reef with a good shape.
Or of course I just carry on until I actually shred the old one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: New headsail

I live in Seattle, so very similar sailing conditions to Victoria (though with less direct access to the Straits).

I had a 135% (about 300sqft) made for my boat this year and it rolls down to around 100% pretty well. When the wind really picks up I still want the ability to run with less sail.

I just bought a sail that is about 100% (200sqft) on eBay as my "winter" sail. I tried it out today and it worked great:

Given that you have a 150% in good shape I'd say that a 110% makes sense as a second sail. However if you don't plan on racing this boat I think in the long run a 130% and 100% make the most sense. If you think you might replace the 150% in the next few years I'd get a 100% now.

I don't like buying used sails sight unseen, but this one was listed as new on eBay, had a copy of the original receipt showing specifications, and had a 15 day return policy, so I figured it was worth the risk. I'm glad that I did it.
Old 12-07-2013

jraymer is on a distinguished road

Alex. Did you actually go out on the sound today? Damn it was cold. If you went out, I admire your meddle.

Jim.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 12-07-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I was out on the sound. We didn't sail for long, maybe an hour. Just out to the shipping lanes and tacked back.

There was ice in the marina:

Paul said that he was out sailing for 4 hours, that is much more hard core!
Old 12-07-2013
Remember you're a womble

Yep, was out for just shy of 4 hours. When I left it was a positively barmy 28F, with the wind-chill knocking it down to a mildly cool 18F. By the time I came back in, I was basking in an oven-like 30F.
Was quite nice actually, good breeze, bright sunshine, pretty much perfect really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2013

jraymer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a really nice day Paul.

Jim.
Old 12-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'd agree go for the new '100/110', with an eye to replacing the 150 eventually with a 135 that would probably work most days for you.

I had a good experience last year with UK in Sidney.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2013
Remember you're a womble

I'd probably either go for a nice little something built by Leitch & McBride here in Sidney, or a cheapo online one to tide me over. That's a discussion for another thread of course, of which there are many
Or I might just see if I can somehow fix the busted leechline and leave new sails for another year (again).

Old 12-07-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Smaller but OK, with battens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd agree go for the new '100/110', with an eye to replacing the 150 eventually with a 135 that would probably work most days for you.

I had a good experience last year with UK in Sidney.
When we got tired of cranking in a 135 for a decade.... I went with a new 95% RF jib with vertical battens.
It's wonderful. While we could use a bit more sail area in winds under 5 kts, we still sail...
Of course our boat is an easily-driven design. The battens are the key to making the idea work, BTW. The upper half of the sail probably has about the same area and drive as a 115 or similar.

Loren

ps: tried to u/l a photo, but there is a "server error" of some sort at present.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by olson34; 12-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Smaller but OK, with battens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post

ps: tried to u/l a photo, but there is a "server error" of some sort at present.
Loren.. Our new admin is working on the upload issue, I believe, but using a hosting site like photobucket works best overall.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.