Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2013

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
Wiring Help Please

I need some help. Over the next bit I'll be re-wiring some of my engine / charging systems on the youth sailing school boat (Carter 33) I've posted about here before.

Here's the deal:

Engine: Volvo MD6A equipped with the Dynastart (also a charger) and an alternator. The boat has two batteries with a Perko switch. The PO removed the battery cable from one of the batteries and changed some wiring around from the original design. I'd like to replace the battery cables altogether as they're in pretty rough shape and reinstall the cables that the PO removed. Basically cleaning things up, removing old wiring and making it a generally safer system.

From my understanding (I'm a structural engineer not an electrical engineer so bear with me), the Dynastart should charge the "start" battery and the alternator should charge the "house" battery. If this isn't the correct assumption, please, someone, point me in the right direction.

Basically, I'm hoping someone give me a simplified wiring diagram for how this systems "should" look? I have the wiring diagram downloaded from the interwebs, but it's a bit too complicated and I don't believe it has the Dynastart and alternator included. Maybe, if it would help, I could supply someone with a blank wiring digram with the important bits and have them fill in blanks.

As always, the help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2013

Re: Wiring Help Please

Update: After a lot of internet browsing, I've decided to not use the Dynastart to charge the start battery. But rather use the alternator to charge both and leave the Dynastart for starting only.

But, I'm still having a hard time finding the correct wiring diagram for how the system should be wried. Can anyone help me with this? How should the Dynastart be wired if it's not used for charging? And them I'm assume I should wire the two batteries, the battery switch and the alternator as in a "normal" alternator charing system. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

This is how you can charge both batt banks with the one alt. http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180119a.pdf
Old 12-09-2013

Delta-T,

Thanks for that, but I don't have a Sure Power Isolator, how does that effect the resulting wiring diagram?

Also, do I just disconnect the Dynastart and let it "charge" into thin air? If so, what wires need to come off / stay on?
Old 12-09-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I would think using two separate charging systems could cause some issues. And I am sorry I do not know the answer here, but if you are using a House, backup, or both batt switch..what happens the the two separate charging systems when the both are connect, I do know with generators this can not be done without an expensive voltage cycle synchronizing device.

Have redundant charging systems could be desirable for reliability. But twice the equipment for two systems is more to go wrong.

I would think the Dynastart is very dependable and should be used for the engine power and engine starting batt. And the alt should be for the house batt and electronics. And no batt switch.

And yes, disconect the Dynastart, no wires connected, no issue.
Old 12-09-2013

RTee is on a distinguished road

Add-a-battery 65A kit...This is what I installed on my salmon fishing boat when I added a second battery (dedicating one solely to the engine and a deep cycle battery to run all the accessories). They come in two models and I picked the 120A because of the output of my alternator. It is very easy to install (it comes with a battery switch and an isolator). With this system, your batteries are always isolated except when the alternator is producing electricity (ie engine running) and the starting battery is topped up, at which point the relay of the isolator will close thus enabling the second battery to be recharged by the alternator. With this system, a battery is always dedicated to the engine and the other one to power the house accessories. When you shut down the alternator (engine), the relay opens and isolate the batteries. Very easy system to operate...OFF, ON and BOTH, the latter being used to to provide additional cranking power to your starting battery if for some unknown reasons it ended up with not enough power to start the engine.

Last edited by RTee; 12-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2013

Kh3412 is on a distinguished road

Link for engine here http://diysailor.com/attachments/201...A_Workshop.pdf
Page 30 has wiring diagrams don't know if this helps.
My first thought was just remove it but then how would you start it.
Guess I would wire start battery to generator and house battery to alt.
Where are you located on the lakes?
Old 12-09-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcfall View Post
Update: After a lot of internet browsing, I've decided to not use the Dynastart to charge the start battery. But rather use the alternator to charge both and leave the Dynastart for starting only.

But, I'm still having a hard time finding the correct wiring diagram for how the system should be wried. Can anyone help me with this? How should the Dynastart be wired if it's not used for charging? And them I'm assume I should wire the two batteries, the battery switch and the alternator as in a "normal" alternator charing system. Thanks!
Check this link - great information - you should get the information you need.

1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com
Old 12-09-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've run an isolated starting battery using an RV type continuous use solenoid activated by the key As long as the engine is on all batteries are on charge. Turn off the key and starting bat is completely isolated. If start or house goes bad ; easy jump with cables.
Old 12-09-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I am guessing, but would think the Dynastart will have the same weakness as most alternators: If you run it with NO LOAD, no battery connected, it will quickly overvolt and fry itself. And apparently they are incredibly hard to find or replace, so this is one job where "Measure twice, cut once" really applies. That may be why the PO left the Dynastart connected to the house battery, and installed a separate alternator for the extra house battery. IIRC the Dynastart normally was used without any extra alternator. The Albin Vega used this system from Volvo too, you might check their forums for advice on it.