Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2005

berwick is on a distinguished road
cracked skeg T37

Hi, I have been looking at a 1978 Tartan 37 which is for sale. The boat seems very well kept up with the exception of the following: The skeg where it attaches to the boat has a large crack and can be moved (1/4Ē - 1/2Ē) at the bottom of the skeg when applied with pressure. It puzzles me that this has not been repaired or that a repair is not holding. Is this a common problem with the T37Cís?
Thanks in advance, Richard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
cracked skeg T37

This sounds very bad to me.
Old 01-12-2005

palacegrand is on a distinguished road
cracked skeg T37

Richard,
Hands up and step away.
Step away from the boat.
Further away.
Ok, now run!!!!!!

Seriously though .....
You''re talking about the rudder skeg and not the keel correct? Not that I think it would really matter. Although if it''s the keel, then it may be a question of replacing keel bolts refairing etc. Not that simple or inexpensive but ......
If it''s the rudder skeg, then I''d be thinking about the mechanics of the rudder, damage to the hull, at the joint and in other places as well. Damage to the propellor shaft maybe?
I don''t know the Tartan''s at all, but movement of 1/4" with a large crack at the hull joint doesn''t sound like a simple repair.
It''s a bit suspicious that it''s not repaired, and that would give raise to suspicions about other maintenance too.

Unless it''s REALLY cheap I''d keep looking.

just my 2 cents
Craig
Old 01-13-2005

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
cracked skeg T37

If you''re selling a boat that needs a significant repair, the law puts you in a dilemma. If you repair the boat, you are, in effect, concealing the defect from the buyer. If the seller buys the boat and the repair fails, the seller will be on the losing end of a lawsuit. The safer course for the seller is to not make the repair, so that the prospective buyer can see the defect. The prospective buyer can then consult his own experts for their advice and satisfy himself as to whether a satisfactory repair can be made.

If you see a boat for sale that obviously needs a repair, it at least tells you that you are probably dealing with a seller or broker who is honest enough to not conceal a known defect. If your experts tell you that a satisfactory repair can be made, you might decide to buy it and repair it. But, if you buy a boat knowing that it has a particular defect, then you have no complaint against the seller if the repair fails.

If you rely on your own knowledge and instincts in that situation, it would probably be a bad gamble. If your expert advice is sound, you might end up with a bargain. Do you feel lucky?