SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   awlgrip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11150-awlgrip.html)

dman 01-18-2005 05:13 AM

awlgrip

I have heard of people putting this on with a roller and finnishing with a brush.I am wondering if anyone has done this on the hull exterior and what results they had.

paulk 01-19-2005 03:07 PM

awlgrip

The Awlgrip information I have seen recommends NOT rolling and tipping. Awlgrip suggests spraying by a professional, using positive pressure air filter masks for the painter(s), the last time I looked. Interlux Interthane 2-part polyurethane IS applied by amateurs using a roller and brush. I did our decks and got good results. Single-part paints do not seem to hold up well in this application. Our decks have looked good for four years, and are now due for some touch-up due to chafed areas.

pjfsail 01-23-2005 08:16 PM

awlgrip

dman, I think pualk is sorely mistaken. Go to Awlgrip''s web site at www.awlgrip.com and click on "Product Systems" and then click on "Awlgrip 2". You will find instructions for both sprayig and roller/tip method. This paint is NOT for professionals only. It takes some practice so practice on something to gain the experience. You need to gain some confindence in what you are doing but YOU can do it. Here is another web site to go to for more information and to gain some courage, www.triton38.com click on "The Rebuilding" and then go click on "Hull Projects" and then click on "Painting the Hull". Here you will get exact procedural information on using and applying Awlgrip and be able to see the finished product. Learn, grow, and gain confidence. Go for it. Regards, Peter

dman 01-24-2005 04:00 AM

awlgrip

Thanks for the info pjfsail.

mary jewell 01-24-2005 03:11 PM

awlgrip

I rolled and tipped my entire 34'' boat, hull, cockpit, waterways, and what a rewarding job.....takes a little practice but it is an easy skill to aquire, then step back and look at your reflection, if it''s sagging,sand it and do it again, but the majority of my job looks as though it was sprayed on, what a great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paulk 01-24-2005 06:28 PM

awlgrip

Sounds like Awlgrip II has come out since I did my decks. Thanks for the update!

jparker11 01-25-2005 08:41 AM

awlgrip

Mary,

Did you use Awlgrip II?

I used the roll and tip with Interlux''s two part polyurethane. Same result. In the Interlux literature, they actually discouraged spray apps. I could not tell if they did this to decrease VOC emmisions or for performance considerations. They bemoaned the sophisticated spray, mix and cleaning requirements of a two part.

Your advice to practice and get the technique of the roll and tip sorted out is excellent.

A great paint.

mary jewell 01-25-2005 02:39 PM

awlgrip

I guess by Awlgrip II you mean 2 part? It is actuaaly 3 part, reducer(helps with brush application) activator and the paint. I am so impressed with this stuff, I love to work with it. It looks great when sprayed, but the rolling and tipping creates a lovely surface and the stuff is bullet proof...very long lasting

Artz 10-02-2009 03:29 PM

As others have said you can get an excellent finish with the roll an tip method quality prep is very important. Awl Grip, Interlux and Sterling all have developed systems for brush application. I Have done a 50 foot yacht this way. Came out great.

Maine Sail 10-02-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artz (Post 528354)
As others have said you can get an excellent finish with the roll an tip method quality prep is very important. Awl Grip, Interlux and Sterling all have developed systems for brush application. I Have done a 50 foot yacht this way. Came out great.

Art,

When using the search tool it's a good idea to check the date of the post before taking the time to post a response. This thread was four years old...:eek: