Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013

3ladies is on a distinguished road
Re: Sewing machine corner

I just bought an industrial sewing machine made by Toyota. I haven't used it yet but can't wait though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I have to say I am one of those guys with an older cast iron Kenmore with the steel gears and I can sew a mean zig zag as well as straight stich....

And I have made many boat related items, covers, etc as well as some major sail repair (there are several threads around)..

BUT..My buddy got a sailright machine, and let me play with it a bit and I hate to say it but I have to...

There is no comparison between the two The Sailright machine just grabs and pulls and stitches like nobodys business no breaking a sweat, or thread, or needles just hold and sew...multiple layers no problem...

I'll still fight with my old machine for a few minor projects I have, But High on my list of things to get is an actual Sailright LZ1 for any major projects I plan to do in the near future.

You gotta see one in action to really appreciate the ease.

(maybe I'll just go over to his house and "borrow" his)
Old 12-13-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Tad off subject BUT I recently purchased the Sailrite LZ1 along with a jib and main sail kits. I have to say the sewing machine is a brute. It has gone thru 8 layers of 7.4 oz dacron along with 4 layers of nylon webbing. I do believe whatever fits under the foot it will sew.
I'm just about done with the jib.
Old 12-14-2013

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

For those considering a straight stitch machine for marine canvas, some information on types of machines might be helpful. Almost all folks who sew marine canvas for a living use a rotaty-hook, compound walking-foot machines (aka, compound-feed, unison-feed, triple-feed).

A compound walking-foot has both drop-feed (bottom-feed) and needle-feed (top-feed) with an alternating presser-foot (walking-foot).

The following links might be helpful, and do click on "show more" on the YouTube video.

Sewing machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sailrite LS and LSZ machines are drop-feed, walking-foot machines.

Canvas can be sewn with what are sometimes called semi-industrial home sewing machines and are drop-feed machines. Another limitation of these machines is clearance under the foot, and the number of layers of material can mount-up quickly. Just try hemming the inside flat-felled seam of a pair of Levis to get the idea which is fewer layers of material than is usually encountered sewing marine canvas.
gedaggett likes this.
Old 12-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The Sailrite LSZ-1 has a similar compound walking foot to what you show. You can see it in action at 1:10 into this video:

My only piece of sewing machine advice is to buy a real Sailrite and not one of the similar machines like a Barracuda. I bought a Barracuda, but by the time you fix all of the deficiencies that the Sailrite has improved on you will have spent as much as what a Sailrite costs.

I bought the Barracuda for $500 on Amazon. Added the monster wheel (still not as good as Sailrite's wheel) for $100, Sailrite case for $125, and the Sailrite user manual for $20.
To really fix my machine to have the locking wheel that Sailrite has would cost another $60 in parts. That is about $800, the same price as the Sailrite and I don't get the benefits of Sailrite service or the small internal improvements that they've made.

Since I've bought it the Barracuda price has gone up $100.
Old 12-15-2013

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

Alex W,

The Ultrafeed is a walking-foot machine but not a compound walking-foot machine.

Looking carefully, the action in the video shows the alternating presser-foot but no needle-feed -- the needle simply goes up and down, and does not follow an elliptical path pulling material through the machine. Sailrite's documentation does not claim compound feed for the Ultrafeed, but does for the Sailrite 111.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57967247,d.b2I

Last edited by TejasSailer; 12-15-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road
Sewing machine corner

I've been researching machines for the past few months and am considering the LSZ-1. It is $75 off at the moment with free shipping. These machines easily sell used for $600 and go quickly if in good shape. If you run out of interest or projects you would have no trouble unloading it.

My projects will include a full winter cover, perhaps modifications to my Bimini for screens, hatch covers, cushions, etc.
Old 12-16-2013

Liquorice is on a distinguished road

I run a one man sail repair and canvas business. It pays for my sailing trips!
The business is seasonal - there are currently ice boats on the lake - I do get a few ice boat sail repairs though!
I bought an LSZ-1 Sailrite machine in 2007 - it is the only machine I have.
I've just printed my 200th invoice. That's 200 sail repairs; UV stripes on genoas; companionway covers; boat covers; dodgers; furling socks etc., etc..
Most of the boats I do work for are in the 25ft to 30 ft size.
In 6 years the LSZ-1 has lost its timing once. I re-timed it myself by looking at the manual. Back in business in 2 hrs. This machine is bullet proof. Backup from Sailrite is always there if you need it - you probably won't!
you can cheap out on second hand, $200 machines, but the grief isn't worth the hassle. If you are new to sewing you won't know if it's you or the machine. All of my problems when I started were me! The machine just kept going. There is a learning curve to marine sewing, just like anything else. Having good, reliable equipment takes one unknown out of the mix.
Sam :-)
rikhall, gedaggett and Missingyou like this.

Last edited by Liquorice; 12-16-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: poor math!
The Following User Says Thank You to Liquorice For This Useful Post:
rikhall (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road

I have used the LSZ1 to make a kiteboarding kite and to repair kites. These fabrics tend to move relative to each other even though the machine has a walking foot. What ends up happening is that the fabrics don't feed at the same rate. This happens even when tension is maintained by hand when feeding of the fabrics. SailRite recommended taping the fabrics (double sided tape) when using these fabrics. Taping did the trick and made managing the fabric much easier. I am assuming that kite fabrics are lighter (i.e. thinner) than sail fabrics. Do sail fabrics also require taping? I think the issue is that nylon/dacron tend to be very slick thus causing the feed rates being different. Any insights into this by some of the more expereinced users?
Old 12-16-2013

Liquorice is on a distinguished road

I use double sided tape a lot.
It takes the place of the pins my wife uses with her home sewing. I never use pins, they are very hard to use with even a few thicknesses of canvas.
I also use a stapler. A regular long reach office stapler. Will penetrate canvas and Dacron easily and the staples are easy to pull out with snips or small pliers.
Sam :-)
gbgreen59 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liquorice For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (12-16-2013)