Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Sewing machine corner

" Do sail fabrics also require taping? "

Yes. Sailrite included 250 yards of double sided sticky tape in the two sail kits I recently purchased. The Dacron is very slick. I don't see how one could sew together the parts with any kind of accuracy without the tape. I have stapled together parts of cushions prior to sewing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captainmeme For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

Seam-tape can gum-up the needle. However, seam-tape seems almost essential for long, internal runs, including sails. Two ways to help mitigate gumming the needle is to apply the seam-tape offset from the line of stitches or use a thread lubricator.

When hemming, in addition to staples I also use HDX 3/4 in. Mini Spring Clamps (37 cents each from Home Depot), Binder clips from an office supply store, such as 3/4” wide, 3/8” capacity, or T-Pins from Sailrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymroff View Post
Is there a 'new' machine in the $300 dollar range that is ok for cruising? The intended use would be canvas (bimini, dodger, sail cover, etc.), re-doing the cushions both inside and out, & emergency sail repair (just to get to a sail loft and have it done right).

I'm of the assumption that a zig-zag feature would be just for sail repair, and not really necessary for quick 'get you home' repairs.

thx in advance!
That is a tough order! There are a great deal of machines that you can get that will do what you want (used) but the portability is where you are going to suffer a bit. For that price you are likely going to be in the range of a used NELCO, BROTHER or if you are lucky and early generation Sailrite LS. The Nelco is a better quality home machine that will do some medium duty sewing but is not necessarily designed to do the heavier canvas so results on a tri-fold seem may not be consistent. Many machines that were designed to do the heavier materials were designed to also be compact. You can get a Sailrite machine at the sailing shows for a deal which would put you in the $600 range.

Here is a sample of a NELCO machine

Restored Vintage Nelco R-400-2 Zigzag Sewing Machine - made in Japan, heavy duty - Sewing Machines & Sergers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanehole View Post
Hi-thanks for doing this. I have a red sailrite machine and would like to know if I could take it to my moored boat and sew with it running off a small red honda generator, EU200i. If so that would push me over the edge in buying a small gen.
Should work fine. The Machine you describe is the LS-1 (I think) and that motor pulls 1.7 amps at 6600RPM. Even at start up I don't think it would be enough to trip the breaker on the Honda by a good 5-8 amps. You should be just fine doing that. By the way that is a nice little generator!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Tad off subject BUT I recently purchased the Sailrite LZ1 along with a jib and main sail kits. I have to say the sewing machine is a brute. It has gone thru 8 layers of 7.4 oz dacron along with 4 layers of nylon webbing. I do believe whatever fits under the foot it will sew.
I'm just about done with the jib.

You are correct. If it fits under the foot it will go through it. Heavier needle helps the cause.

Old 12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
Do sail fabrics also require taping? I think the issue is that nylon/dacron tend to be very slick thus causing the feed rates being different. Any insights into this by some of the more expereinced users?
The thicker the material the better it hold shape and feeds more evenly. Double sided or "basting tape" is a good practice for novice or learning sewers. I still use double sided tape when making sail repairs because it is one less thing that I have to worry about. The other thing that you can use is one of the many attachments available the will do the folding for specific seams for you. Sailrite has a good selection of attachments. With more experience you will need less assistance. I have a couple women in the shop here that can sew very quickly with little to no aid from folders, attachments or tape.

The Following User Says Thank You to gedaggett For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-20-2013

mjf55 is on a distinguished road

So interested in a lsz-1 ..but have some questions. First, how old should I consider purchasing a used one? What changes have been made to a new one to warrant a newer model? Is the monster wheel needed? I will be making new sails and canvas accessories.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2013

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

You might want to ask this question on the Sailrite forum. I'd read through some of the threads there because I think I recall similar questions have been asked.

Sailrite Sewing Machines - Sailrite Forum - Page 1
Old 12-21-2013

mjf55 is on a distinguished road

Thanks TS, I did find out what I was looking for as far as how old should you go. Sailrite recommends 4 years as that was when the last update went out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2013

glymroff is on a distinguished road

Just an update:

Bought an lz1 sail rite. Every blog I've read said essentially the same thing. So I caved.
Also bought the bundle accessories and the magnetic guide.

Now begins the work for the admiral :-)

Although I may do some as well. Hey it's like a new toy at Xmas .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.