Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: bilge water

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Great !

How are you running the pump, from shore power or a battery..??
battery. i wired it permanently to the switch panel. at present, it's the only thing hooked up. all the rest of the wiring was BS harry home owner junk. really bad. small ga wires leading from the power source to heavier ga wires. poorly crimped, hard plastic automotive connectors ( the kind i never ever use on cars or bikes). not even any electric tape at the crimped ends. fire hazzard. getting ready to begin rewiring the whole thing.

i used a Rule automatic bilge pump. not the type that cycles every two minutes, though. the type with an actual float. it's rated at 1000 gallons per. i used tinned 12ga wire and the appropriate connectors with the adhesive in the shrink tube part. then i used liquid electric tape over the joints. i routed the wiring away from the hose so water is less likely to run along the wires.

once i get the pics on photo bucket, i will post some pics of the well and the new through hull ( which is not through the hull ). not sure, yet, how the pics turned out. you may or may not be able to see the last bit of water coming out. it didn't take long to clear out what little water was there.

by the time i got the pump ( $89 ), the through hull, hose, wire and connectors, and battery, it cost me around $200. as everyone knows, it adds up quick.

i am not going to buy the wire or connectors i need, for the rest of the system, from west marine. that would cost me a fortune. i am going to see if i can find a better source and buy bulk. it's more cost effective that way.

i also need to find some interior lights, too. 3 or 4. again, not from west marine. too expensive. going for LEDs. brighter with less power draw and heat.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Fuse?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Fuse?
i'd never run anything without a fuse. that's asking for disaster. the switch panel is set up with glass fuses built in. the hot wire runs to the top of the fuse. then a wire leads from the side of the fuse to the switch. it's a nice panel, actually. it's just that all the wires, from the switches out, are done with mickey mouse style.

here is a pic of the well. the new not-through-the-hull through hull is on the left of the pic. unfortunately, by the time i snapped this shot, the water was done running out of the through hull. in the pic, you can still see the water draining out of the well, though.

http://

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-16-2013

starting from the outlet, going in, the line 90s up, to keep water from flowing back in ( an unlikely possibility due to location, in any event ), then levels out to run to the pump. of course, it has to drop down into the bilge, after it reaches the middle of the boat. if you guys like, i can snap some pics of the rest of the set up.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2013

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road

An added advantage of running a bilge pump into the cockpit: If your feet suddenly get wet, it's a dead giveaway that something needs attention.
Old 12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
An added advantage of running a bilge pump into the cockpit: If your feet suddenly get wet, it's a dead giveaway that something needs attention.
lol. that is true. if my feet get wet it will be a serious problem. the water that pumped out of the bilge, while not a ton, pumped out fast but it never came close to filling the well. if that well fills and begins to fill the cockpit, i think last rites might be in order. lol

1971 Cal 27