SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   bilge water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/111874-bilge-water.html)

captain jack 12-13-2013 02:28 AM

bilge water

quick question. i am installing an automatic bilge pump. the manual bilge pump is in a side compartment, on the starboard bench. it has a hose that runs to it, from the lowest point, just above the keel bolts. this is, of course, where i am putting the pump. i was going to route the hose, from the pump, where the manual hose is routed. that would bring it out into that storage compartment.

there is a small well, that extends below the level of the cockpit sole, where any cockpit water is dumped and runs out through the hole in the transom. is there any reason i can't just put the through hull in the side of the bench ( higher than sole level ), dumping any water into this well, so it runs out of the hole that is already in the transom.

i think it's a great solution because it keeps me from adding another through hull and i won't have to worry about water backing into the hose. i figure, if i have that much water in the cockpit, to where it can backflow into the pump, the backflow is going to be the least of my worries.

thanks

paulk 12-13-2013 07:52 AM

Re: bilge water

Bilge water may not be as clean-smelling as the rain and spray that drains from the cockpit. Our electric bilge pump pumps into the anchor locker, and drains from there, but it is up forward by the shrouds so we don't care so much.

MarkofSeaLife 12-13-2013 10:23 AM

Anything that saves another thru hull could be a good idea.

Can you test it for a while and if it doesnt work then do the thru hull?

If its stinky a bucket of water with flush the cockpit.

nodders 12-13-2013 11:33 AM

That is a really interesting idea! I will be re-thinking my installation plans!

captain jack 12-13-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1215690)
Anything that saves another thru hull could be a good idea.

Can you test it for a while and if it doesnt work then do the thru hull?

If its stinky a bucket of water with flush the cockpit.

sure. if it doesn't work out, i can always add a through hull. i am thinking like you: one less through hull can't be bad.

captain jack 12-13-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodders (Post 1215914)
That is a really interesting idea! I will be re-thinking my installation plans!

that's pretty cool. it seemed logical, to me.

Faster 12-13-2013 04:25 PM

As long as the sump is low enough that you don't end up puddling in the cockpit it should be fine.. but you could also direct it out the transom at a similar height and avoid water/smell in the cockpit. The added bonus with that would be an audible indication that your pump is running when you hear the splashing aft.

captain jack 12-13-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1216786)
As long as the sump is low enough that you don't end up puddling in the cockpit it should be fine.. but you could also direct it out the transom at a similar height and avoid water/smell in the cockpit. The added bonus with that would be an audible indication that your pump is running when you hear the splashing aft.

thayt was my other option, actually. the sump is pretty deep and sizeable. not sure if i have a pic i can post depicting it. Michael might have one, in the photos he posted in his profile, for me.

i like this option, though, because it avoids another through hull...less risk of back flow. i would add a check valve but the pump instructions expressly say not to do that.

captain jack 12-16-2013 06:57 PM

got it done! it works great and it looks good. i will post pics after dinner.when i bought the boat, it had no hatch or hatchboard. so, it had been rained in. they had maintained it with a pump, however. it still had about an inch of water in the bilge. it hasn't taken on any more, since i closed it in. so, as soon as i flipped the switch, it pumped out the water. it worked perfectly. poured into the well and out of the boat. no fuss. no problems. and no back up. tgat pump made short work of that little bit of water. i didn't even have time to snap a picture until it was just a trickle coming out.

azguy 12-16-2013 07:02 PM

Great !

How are you running the pump, from shore power or a battery..??