Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2005

trecksail is on a distinguished road
repairing keel - fiberglass cut

Thanks Jeff,
I did have it looked at and the keel shouldn''t be a major problem any more. I do plan to "tent" the hull to the ground, add some heat and a fan to dry it out and make the repairs. That just leaves mainly a new paint job and interior which will be no small task but am looking forward to it.
Steady winds to you,
Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Trecksail If you were not a new person to the boatbuilding game like Sailingfool has stated you would not be on here asking these questions for info or moral support.We are talking about boatbuilding not boat ownership.You seem to be quite pleased to hear from anyone that will give you a pep talk and dismiss the 99 percent of the other opinions as unhelpfull.I know are sarcasm was harsh of your decision to go ahead but that doesn`t mean we are the enemy.The advice that you seek has been presented by very knowledgeable people.The one thing that sticks out in this whole thing is the length of the boat.At 38 feet it is not small, especially for a huge project and I will tell you again there will not be a profit,but again as the boat becomes larger the greater the loss.If this boat was 27 feet I wonder if you would be so interested.When you called me a moron,you may be right, so don`t sign up yourself.Follow your dream not a nightmare.Go back to the other thread regarding "moving a boat without a crane" and read my last post about one of my projects.That boat had over 400,000 dollars spent on it by the end and sold for 300.000.Go to any surveyor and he will verify our concerns on this boat.Remember we are not your enemy but you may want to watch your friends.
Old 02-07-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road

After twenty years in yacht repair and hundreds of fiberglass repairs, this thread brings to mind two of the biggest and most critical repairs I''ve been faced with. One was a very fast Irwin 30 that hit Devils Back Ridge outside Boston harbor while doing six knots under power. The repair to the keel and bilge required EXTENSIVE structural work and, unhappily, no helpful information at all from Ted Irwin. To be sure of success, and after much discussion with some of the most knowledgeable people in the area, I completed the project using epoxies and biaxial fabmats, common weave cloths and one additional keel bolt installed in the rear of the keel, plus the associated encased support plate in the bilge. It''s a huge and complex process which is too involved for here, but if you want the whole sordid tale, e-mail me. I''ll put on a pot of coffee and get started.

The second was a severe keel injury I encountered in Naples, Florida, that nearly accounted for the loss of the vessel. A violent grounding tore the bottom out of the keel case and the ballast, once again unhappily, was boiler punching and concrete. Rust inevitable makes the scrap iron grow and it pulverizes the concrete and the whole mess pours out like the pennies out of this owners pockets. The problem here was securing fiberglass to the keel trunk securely enough to be called safe. I recommended that we removed the entire keel, and I would epoxy in a nice big, one-inch thick (25 foot lightweight boat)2 1/2 foot by 7 foot sole into the belly of the sloop and have a nice, fast one ton keel cast and bolted up. The owner vetoed that and instead insisted that I do it his way: to fiberglass a new bottom onto the hollow keel and find some way to get weight into it without opening the fiberglass inside, as this is what he felt saved the boat. I in turn insisted he sign this big, fat ''release of liability'' form and did what he wanted. The keel took a week or so of fiberglass and epoxy work and I finally filled it from a hole near the top with slow-cure epoxy and 1100 lbs of lead shot. He loved it. The customer must always be right. To my knowledge he hasn''t had any trouble with it, but I''m no fan of gluing up a keel you might ram into a reef.
Old 02-17-2005

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good thing the dammage is below the waterline.

Dennis