SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine oil stains on deck gelgoat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/112026-engine-oil-stains-deck-gelgoat.html)

gloreg 12-13-2013 03:32 PM

Engine oil stains on deck gelgoat

Hi, i made a terrible mistake and drooped some engine oil on the white noskid gelcoat of my deck. It happened at night and i realized this only in the morning when the oil had been washed out and absorbed by the gelcoat. Now i have some back round spots, i am wondering what is the best way to removed them
thanks

TQA 12-13-2013 04:21 PM

Re: Engine oil stains on deck gelgoat

If you find out tell me please.

I did much the same and have tried washing up liquid, On Off, soap powder, acetone and much scrubbing. I guess it has been reduced by half but it is still an ugly blotch.

gloreg 12-13-2013 04:35 PM

terrible..you mean that it is impossible to remove completely the stains??((

Delta-T 12-13-2013 04:51 PM

I would use Dawn dish soap and scrub with a hard plastic bristle brush.

Delta-T 12-13-2013 04:59 PM

If the surface is porous it will be real hard to get out, you might try flushing with clean oil and blot. You might lift some out. And then wash with Dwan. Also, with time and sun it will weather away in a year. Once you clean it up the best you can you might try you color the spot with white...paint, shoe polish, something white and watered down just to get into the pores, just enough to get in there and tint it.

You could try to pressure washing it.

jzk 12-13-2013 05:08 PM

Try meguires oxidation remover. You will need both a rag and a stuff brush to get into the crevices.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloreg:1216794
Hi, i made a terrible mistake and drooped some engine oil on the white noskid gelcoat of my deck. It happened at night and i realized this only in the morning when the oil had been washed out and absorbed by the gelcoat. Now i have some back round spots, i am wondering what is the best way to removed them
thanks

ReefMagnet 12-13-2013 05:27 PM

Engine degreaser and a scrubbing brush?

eherlihy 12-13-2013 05:28 PM

polishing compound, or simply "compound"

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

BigLew18 12-13-2013 09:23 PM

You might want to try a product named FSR. It is a blue gel that I used on the anti-skid of my older sailboat when she came to me. I had no way of knowing what the cause of many of the stains I wanted to remove were, but it was highly effective at diminishing the "spots."

If you give it a try and it works, please let us know.

hellosailor 12-14-2013 02:15 AM

Maybe one of the "enzyme" laundry products that actually breaks down oil, or a similar bilge product. Build a little clay dam around it, fill it up, cover it with plastic, let it sit. Scrub, change the fluid, repeat in a day or two and see if it breaks the oil down enough to pull it out.

Masons do something similar to pull stains out of porous stone, they put a poultice of absorbent powder on top, dampen it, let it "pull" the stain out. You might be able to check that out.