SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Line from the hardware store? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/112074-line-hardware-store.html)

fj007 12-14-2013 04:21 AM

Line from the hardware store?

So please forgive me, I am super new, I have got a 13 ft Flying Junior that I picked up real cheap and would like to sail real cheap. I would like to replace a few of the lines on the boat, the halyards seem fine, but I need a mainsheet, maybe a vang, and a probably jib sheet. Lowes sells line on a roll that to my untrained eye looks just like the stuff they sell at westmarine or whatever, just cheaper. is there any reason that wont work for dingy sailing?

Zanshin 12-14-2013 05:59 AM

Re: Line from the hardware store?

Cheap line is usually non-marine and inferior due to the following main reasons:

- more stretch
- less tensile strength
- UV resistance
- workability (splicing, etc.)

That doesn't mean it won't work for your purposes, but it will not work as well.

If we take the main sheet as an example - a stretchy line will make it harder to fine-tune your sail, but probably won't make that much of a difference. But if the cheap line were to snap in a gust you could cause some damage to the boat. A lot of the time I see odds-and-ends line at chandleries that are just a bit too short for a big boat, but might be a perfect fit for a dinghy and those will be of marine quality at a Lowe's price.

benesailor 12-14-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

A lot of the time I see odds-and-ends line at chandleries that are just a bit too short for a big boat, but might be a perfect fit for a dinghy and those will be of marine quality at a Lowe's price.
So true

fj007 12-14-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1218106)
So true

not many sailboat stores in knob noster missouri lol

benesailor 12-14-2013 07:22 AM

My budddy buys it on line.... I'll try and find the web address

SchwarckT 12-14-2013 07:25 AM

Go ahead and use it. As long as it doesn't have too much stretch it should work fine. I've found some double braid line at hardware stores that has worked well for me. I attach the topping lift to the boom before I attach it to the mast and bend the main sail. Then when you raise the main sail it will take the tension off the topping lift.

benesailor 12-14-2013 07:34 AM

Call these guys...Sailors Exchange,Used Marine Consignment Store

Hunter H140 Sailboat Sail Rope Kit Main Halyard Sheet Outhaul Vang Jib Sheet | eBay

Maybe this rig would work on your boat?

fj007 12-14-2013 07:36 AM

cool thanks guys

benesailor 12-14-2013 07:41 AM

Honestly; you could get by with rope/line from lowes. Just keep an eye on it. It's not as strong as it may appear. and stretchy as zanshin explained.

capt jgwinks 12-14-2013 08:29 AM

Hopefully the line is labeled a to what it's made of. You'll want dacron, but not nylon or poly propylene. Nylon is too stretchy, poly has no UV resistance. Other than that, the hardware store stuff should work fine on a dinghy. On small boats line diameter is determined by being able to handle it without cutting your hands, rather than breaking strength. It should be more than strong enough.