Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-08-2005

mcagney is on a distinguished road
anti-fouling paint recommendations

It''s getting to this time of year again to start thinking of appling anti-fouling bottom paint. In the past I''ve used Interlux Micron Extra (sail on long Island Sound). However this stuff costs between $164 (discount mail order) and $199 (West Marine) per gallon. I was wondering if anybody has any comments on paint manufactured by Blue Water Marine. They claim to have been nominated for the NMNA award for 2003 for best product. I was thinking of buying their "Copper Guard™ SCX™ 56" with slime control. The cost if purchased before Feb 15 is $102/gal. A link to their site is below:

Any comments?

http://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com

Thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2005

i670684 is on a distinguished road

The Practical Sailor issue just hitting the stand has a review on bottom paints. Timely, if you like PS.
Old 02-08-2005

trecksail is on a distinguished road

Hey Mike,
I know there might be some howls at this, but I used this:

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=144277&catalogId=20002 &classNum=229&subdeptNum=11204&storeNum=4

Last year on my Paceship Northwind and it held up incredibly well. When it was getting pulled in the Fall even the lift operator said it looked like it had just been painted.

Joe
Old 02-08-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Trecksail Paceship, now that is a strong boat.Tough as they come,now that`s a good choice.
Old 02-08-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

I have Sea Hawk Tropikote on my boat other than Interlux it has the higest amount of copper you can get. In all the paints tested it had the same as Interlux which was rated the highest. The paint has been on for three years going on four it is time but it has held up so well I cant beleave it.
http://www.seahawkpaints.com/
Old 02-08-2005

jari is on a distinguished road

I just got a 2 part topside paint from the same company.Prompt delivery. Cans got little dings from transport to left coast. Have not used it yet.Waiting for consistent above 60 F weather.
Very interested in your reserch. Let me know
Jari
Old 02-11-2005

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road

I used Bluewater Marine. Got a coat/gal on my 35''er, put on 3 coats with a 4th at the water line. Practical sailor had rated the Bluewater paint pretty well last year. All seems good so far. Will most likely use them again when ready.
Old 02-12-2005

trecksail is on a distinguished road

dman,
Definately loved the Northwind. Actually tried to buy it back but to no avail. Now I''m actually looking forward to this Irwin 38. I''m a realtor, and I''ve never met anyone who loved every single thing about any existing house. I think it''s the same with boats. Most people would do their boat differently from scratch if they could. I figure this is as close as I could get. I''ve got basically a nice sized blank hull for almost nothing with some accessories that I may or may not use. Now I can design and build a boat that I will want to live on and do as much cruising as possible on. And, a huge thing for me is the "for almost nothing". Since my divorce I''ve cut my income and expenses down to the bare minimum. I''d rather work my ass of on this boat that I will keep, than on something that will just go to someone else who doesn''t deserve it in any way shape or form. Hell, I''d rather give every penny to charity!

Joe
Old 02-12-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough

mcagney,
Unless you feel the need to save the $124.00 (2 gal) for the "generic" paint, why compromise? Interlux Extra w/Biolux is the best multi-season, ablative bottom paint for cruising sailboats on the market, and is the only one I''d consider for my 2nd love (my wife''s the first).

Besides, 2 gallons will provide 2 coats of great protection against slime and sea critters for at least 2 years on a 36-42 ft. bottom . . . that''s only an extra $62.00 per year over your cheaper consideration.

JMHO . . . Steve

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.