SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   On board television (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/11254-board-television.html)

Bruceo1 02-11-2005 07:57 AM

On board television

I am planning to replace the television that came with my boat with a flat screen model. Can anyone suggest a 12 volt flat panel television (maximum width 24 inches). I want to have a DVD player to play movies. Would it be feasible to buy a flat panel monitor and a TV tuner/DVD player? If yes, could someone suggest a 12 volt TV tuner/DVD player?

Thanks

Bruce

WHOOSH 02-11-2005 11:31 AM

On board television

Bruce, you''ll find Samsung has a range of flat panel monitors, some of which include TV tuners (NTSC insofar as I know), that accept 120V or 12V and multiple video inputs. I don''t know of a combo that would include a DVD tuner...but the last two I''ve purchased have cost <$60 USD, and the most recent one is quite thin and easily handled on a boat.

If planning on non-North American sailing, don''t forget to purchase a DVD player that you can ''crack'' so as to play PAL-1, PAL-2, SECAM and NTSC DVDs.

Jack

camaraderie 02-11-2005 03:31 PM

On board television

Another possibility is to get a player designed for automotive use. Such players generally run in the 150-200 buck range and you can get 110V players for 30 bucks though.

My other thought is to simply get a small inverter that can supply the minimal needs of such a player/screen, and wire it into your 12V system. This will be a bit more versatile and let you take advantage of whatever 110V products/prices you like.
Good Luck...BigGB

Billpjr 02-12-2005 07:37 AM

On board television

What type antenna are you guys using for TV while on the hook cruising?

WHOOSH 02-12-2005 12:21 PM

On board television

I would recommend an antenna that has an amplifier, either built-in or in the junction box below decks. Beyond that, smaller is IMO better.

Jack

sailnaway 02-12-2005 06:11 PM

On board television

If you have a Best Buy near you check them out they have the best selection of flat screens around. I was looking at I think it was a Sanyo Samsung had a perfect picture which I have noted on allot of their TVs. I thought how cool it was so flat but the plug stuck out on the back and kept it from sitting onlt about two and a half inches deep. Some body may have put the wrong plug on it.I looked it over and found a slot in the side DVD built in it was way cool.

dderanek 02-13-2005 09:38 AM

On board television

we use direct tv and follow me tv. have had great results

sailnaway 02-13-2005 10:42 AM

On board television

Ok I have been looking into the same thing but not a 12V system. I found two with the built in DVD Toshiba 23" 120V Flat screen $1595.00 Best Buy. They also had a 15" RCA built in DVD was 120V or 12V with an adaptor.The RCA was lo res and not HDTV pixel was about 786x456 compaired to the other models the picture quality was not very sharp with all the settings tweeked as much as I could get them it was fair and was $586.00. I would think hard about a 120V with an sein wave invertor to power it up if you want a great picture.

camaraderie 02-13-2005 12:17 PM

On board television

Dderenek...I''d be interested in your experience with follow-me tv....
How was mounting /installation?
Work well at anchor as well as at dock?
How does it work as you travel to different latitudes...manual adjustment needed? If so, how easy?
I''ve been thinnking about one of these for a while, would be good to hear your experiences. Thanks...BigGB

Bruceo1 02-14-2005 04:40 AM

On board television

Thanks for all of the great input. In response to the question about antenna, I just use the antenna that was on the boat when I bought it. It is a flat disk about a foot in diameter and a couple of inches high, but I know nothing about it other than the fact that we get pretty good reception.

Bruce