Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Thinking about dipping my boat in this

Just finished interior teak with Minwax spar urethane. Wow! Easy to use and incredible gloss. Brought up grain really well. Sanded and cleaned with Acetone and 3 coats of the Minwax. Very happy. Now considering exterior teak trim. Can says it is made for exterior with superior uv protection.

Then I saw paragraph 10 of this article and feel pretty sold to apply to exterior teak as well.

Exterior Wood Finish Test Two-year Update - Practical Sailor Article

Wow again! Anyone have experience with this stuff. While cost is not the issue it does not hurt that it sells at HD for little money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2013

Re: Thinking about dipping my boat in this

Here is more word on Minwax spar urethan/varnish

Canadian Sailing Icon Proving Ground for Age Old Wood Finish |

A concern develops in my mind when I learn that Bluenose is largely mahogany with no indication of teak being covered by the Minwax product. Hmmmm.
Old 12-18-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

My slip neighbor uses that on his swim step .(that's the only exterior teak he has) He loves it . I think it looks good . I don't see why it would not work on mahogany .

Last edited by Markwesti; 12-18-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I use it exclusively on all varnished surfaces on or in the boat. I put five coats on my refurbished tiller and has gone a year eexposed looking new still. Three coats on my hickory oar kept atop the cabin....same result.
I prefer the semi-gloss
Cut with some thinner and it wipes on nicely.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 12-19-2013

I am wondering if it makes a difference the wood being teak. Curious if anyone has experience with it on teak? I am thinking to thin the first coat 50-50 second 75-25 and last full strength. I am also a bit concerned about hardness of surface. The only thing they do not recommend is floors which tells me it may be a little soft. My guess is it will not hold up well to any chafe but then again no finish does. I suppose I will start with a test section maybe a handrail.
Old 12-19-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I am wondering if it makes a difference the wood being teak. Curious if anyone has experience with it on teak? I am thinking to thin the first coat 50-50 second 75-25 and last full strength. I am also a bit concerned about hardness of surface. The only thing they do not recommend is floors which tells me it may be a little soft. My guess is it will not hold up well to any chafe but then again no finish does. I suppose I will start with a test section maybe a handrail.
Thanks for the info on Bluenose. Unless the Teak is fresh, I wouldn't worry about the oils making it difficult for the varnish to adhere. I've never had a problem, but wiping with acetone first is standard.

The PS article is well done. It shows there is no maintenance free coating, just degrees of maintenance. I've used Urethane based spar varnishes and like them. The only reason I don't use them on my boat's exterior is, they may be more difficult to remove. Regular Spar Varnish is an 'easy' coating to remove.

Maintaining brightwork is a series, the end being removal of the failed finish. I assume the crew of Bluenose is finding the urethane Helmsmen removal not to be a big issue(interesting to me).

I'm experimenting with some lower cost spar varnish options on my boat which has a lot of 50+ year old mahogany and teak parts.

I'm finding application-sufficient initial coats(8 to 10), an annual spring maintenance coat, are the most important parts of my system. Spar varnish brand is secondary, for me. Pro's may choose a higher cost spar varnish based on experience with application, and rightly so.

As far as the hardness of the urethane Helmsmen, I'd guess it's harder(a bit) than standard resin based spar varnish. Spar varnish is a soft coating which is a quality that keeps it in use. It stretches a bit making it a very good wood sealer.

I use gloss spar varnish above and below, including the wood sole. It's hard enough for the sole, but the gloss turns to mat in a few seasons. Still, it's doing the job now-protective coating, 14 years after I coated it in several coats of spar varnish.

Do you have any larger photos of your boat? Beautiful in the small photo.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Last edited by TomMaine; 12-19-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2013

Wow.. Having heard no objections I plan to at least test some on exterior teak. Thanks for some further confirmation Tom. As to the boat she is shaping up pretty well. She had been on hard 8 years when we bought her a year ago. Bringing her back has been largely fun and sailing her a real joy. I have put some larger pics in my personal album. Would welcome any and all comments as we continue to hit her cosmetics. Would love to replace mini bimini but can't justify 4k for canvas work. At this point we are considering a diy hard dodger...
Old 12-21-2013

SJ34 is on a distinguished road

I've used it on exterior teak and the only trouble I've had was with lifting on the edges and darkening over time. It's very hard and wears great though.
Old 12-21-2013

safira is on a distinguished road

rbyham .... I have used the product minwax for many years on my boat .... it lasts around 2 to 3 years if you just let it go ... Every year during spring when the weather has not become the surface of the sun yet I do the quick sand (lightly) ... then I wipe with denatured alcohol not acetone and then apply ...
If you go all the way to the raw wood then apply 4 to 6 coats and there is no need to thin it ... but if you feel like you need to then go with the first coat at 75/25 then 50/50 then to full strength .... first number is the product
hope this helps
Old 12-21-2013

Thanks SJ... I wonder if anyone would recommend bleaching teak prior to Helmsman?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.