SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Rudder/tiller head is loose (

mrhoneydew 12-19-2013 12:23 PM

Rudder/tiller head is loose
Hello Everybody. I recently acquired a '69 Columbia 28. The tiller has a fair amount of "slop" to it. I get a slight amount of lateral movement in the rudder post (likely loose bearings), which I will address at haulout. I am pretty sure I have figured out that the pin where the tiller attaches to the rudder head is loose. This is because the hole through the rudder head is a little wallowed out when the pin should be a snug fit in there. So my first concern is, if I pull the rudder head off is my rudder going to plummet to the bottom? I am thinking I will drop a couple of lines under the rudder and tie it off. Next question is, can I drill out the hole through both tiller head and rudder head and get a larger pin, or would this compromise the integrity of both so that it could break under load?

flo617 12-19-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Rudder/tiller head is loose
I suggest you post this question here:

Yahoo Groups

There are a few C28 owners that are active on this forum and could help you.

Given the fact it is a spade rudder I would be careful and examine the issue when the boat is out of the water and assume the rudder will come down to be on the safe side.

DonScribner 12-19-2013 01:11 PM

My tiller does the same. I can't drill a large enough hole to remove the slop without compromising the rudder post. But, I can drill the tiller bracket to accept a reducer bushing, either bronze or Nylon 6.

Captainmeme 12-19-2013 01:21 PM

I had a Hunter 25 that has similar slop between the rudder post and rudder tube. I cut up some plastic milk jugs to make shims to take the slop out. After some time (years, how many, I don't remember) there was still no slop.

capt jgwinks 12-19-2013 07:12 PM

If you must pull the rudder head off in the water, first c check if theres a clamp or something to keep it from dropping out. Even if there is one out might not take the weight impacting it. You could put a heavy duty hose clamp around the shaft tight against the stuffing box. I keep one on my propeller shaft to keep it from pulling put if the coupling lets go.

Delezynski 12-19-2013 07:33 PM

You might want to view my short YouTube video at;

It shows how I shimmed our rudder in 2007 and it is still working with NO play.