Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013

Petrouschka is on a distinguished road
Re: UAV Recon Possibility

I think that sounds like a fun idea, plus you could record some spectacular sailing footage from overhead.

This video was filmed from a similar UAV, just to give an indication of the capabilities. Watch it in 1080P if capable...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I thought we all had one of them as standard .... How do ya think I got this picture ??

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 12-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"This video" appears as a blank white box here, under MSIE10. With no URL, no image properties displayed for it. Lots of linked videos do that, any idea why? What that link should look like as a URL?
Old 12-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A Parrot quadcopter, with a 1/2 ounce fishing weight and eight or ten feet of fishing line dangling beneath it, perhaps?
The "dipping sonar" approach I referred to above, would use the Hummingbird Smartcast RF25 with the transducer float hanging from a length of fishing line attached to the UAV's skids:

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-26-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for forward reconnaissance of potentially difficult anchorages/passes may be becoming a possibility
These quadcopters are waterproof and can land in, and takeoff from water. Mount a GoPro camera and a wireless depthfinder on one:

Home page

Last edited by Fstbttms; 12-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

I'm with sea breeze, search and rescue.
Remember the kids washed off the rocky shore in Spain? Deploy about five in all directions , have a better chance of at least spotting them before they succum, maybe have it deploy a floatation with mark.
Remember the Nina, she could still be out there. Deploy a few hundred. If we can buy them for toys, and "anchorage spotters" then we should be able to get it together to save some lives, eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

HyLyte I'm all for the Hummingbird, but until you get the weight down to the same half-ounce as a fishing sinker...Remember, payload determines your speed, range, costs, and anything else about your drone. And the size of the yacht necessary to launch and recover it. :-)
Old 12-27-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Seems to me these UAV's, particularly the longer-legged ones, would be ideal for searching for endangered missing persons. I mean, if they can look for, and actually attack people in other countries, why not have a couple for search and rescue?
And Frogwatch, Yves Gelinas did something similar, albeit without wireless....they called it film back then, aboard his boat (Jean du Sud) many, many years ago. He used a kite.
Of course, several of the highly advanced military drones in service over the last couple of decades are capable of such duty, and could be tasked to SAR. There have been cases of them being used for other purely civilian purposes, such as the Predator used by the California Air National Guard to assist with the Rim Fire in and around Yosemite just a few months ago.

However, the type of Radio Controlled (RC) Quadcopter in this thread has flight times measured in minutes, typically not much over 10 minutes. To extend flight times, you can use a higher capacity battery (measured in MAH, miliamp-hours), but there is a point at which the several curves of lift capacity, battery capacity, and total aircraft weight put a finite limit on flight time.
Old 12-27-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Of course, several of the highly advanced military drones in service over the last couple of decades are capable of such duty, and could be tasked to SAR. There have been cases of them being used for other purely civilian purposes, such as the Predator used by the California Air National Guard to assist with the Rim Fire in and around Yosemite just a few months ago.

However, the type of Radio Controlled (RC) Quadcopter in this thread has flight times measured in minutes, typically not much over 10 minutes. To extend flight times, you can use a higher capacity battery (measured in MAH, miliamp-hours), but there is a point at which the several curves of lift capacity, battery capacity, and total aircraft weight put a finite limit on flight time.
The flight time of the UAV referred to in my original post (#1) is reported as 25 minutes out of the box by the manufacturer.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-27-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Do a Google search. You'll find many companies selling RC quadcopters to LE and other agencies for SAR operations.