SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   UAV Recon Possibility (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/112906-uav-recon-possibility.html)

svHyLyte 12-20-2013 11:54 AM

UAV Recon Possibility

Using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for forward reconnaissance of potentially difficult anchorages/passes may be becoming a possibility:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9bMFt4vSerk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Faster 12-20-2013 01:22 PM

Re: UAV Recon Possibility

Pretty amazing!.. wonder who's going to do traffic control once everyone gets one of these and the Amazon drones start delivering!! ;)

MarkSF 12-20-2013 01:53 PM

Just saw this story on Latitude 38 :

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

(see under "Toys and Tools for Cruisers")

erps 12-20-2013 02:19 PM

Are there any members who have a video camera permanently installed on their mast with a feed to their chart plotter? I always thought that might be a way to see the rock I was about to hit.

TQA 12-20-2013 04:37 PM

Putting a depth sounder on a RC boat with some telemetry to feed back the depths feels like it would be more useful.

It could be made to zig zag ahead of the mother ship and show actual depths on an overlay on the chart plotter.

This would save quite a few groundings if used on the south coast of Grenada alone.

Me, I guess I will still be standing up and looking over the dodger while I enter on a day with good light.

Frogwatch 12-20-2013 06:33 PM

Two weeks ago, I became interested in using a lightweight autogyro deployed from a moving sailboat to "look ahead" via a Gopro camera. The towed autogyro would not need power to fly and an autogyro is very efficient. However, this doesnt seem like a real good application. Maybe lifting an antenna would be a good app.

svHyLyte 12-22-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1236266)
Putting a depth sounder on a RC boat with some telemetry to feed back the depths feels like it would be more useful.

It could be made to zig zag ahead of the mother ship and show actual depths on an overlay on the chart plotter.

This would save quite a few groundings if used on the south coast of Grenada alone.

Me, I guess I will still be standing up and looking over the dodger while I enter on a day with good light.

A year or two ago I wrote about a couple we met that had done exactly that with a Hummingbird Wireless Fish Finder of the type one casts out with a fishing rod. It was installed in the hull of a modest sized RC boat that the lady controlled from the bow where she could give directions to her husband at the helm via a Cruising Solutions wireless headset. The arrangement seemed to work pretty well.

The UAV I referenced would be good for checking out anchorages and other spots and could also be used in conjunction with the wireless fish finder in a UFV (unmanned floating vehicle) or even in a "dipping sonar" manner, just by hanging it off the UAV's skids with a length of fishing line. No?

FWIW...

hellosailor 12-22-2013 03:44 PM

A Parrot quadcopter, with a 1/2 ounce fishing weight and eight or ten feet of fishing line dangling beneath it, perhaps?

PaulinVictoria 12-22-2013 04:04 PM

I wonder how many UAVs will be lost to friendly fire, or not so friendly when one comes buzzing into a quiet anchorage.

seabreeze_97 12-22-2013 04:44 PM

Seems to me these UAV's, particularly the longer-legged ones, would be ideal for searching for endangered missing persons. I mean, if they can look for, and actually attack people in other countries, why not have a couple for search and rescue?
And Frogwatch, Yves Gelinas did something similar, albeit without wireless....they called it film back then, aboard his boat (Jean du Sud) many, many years ago. He used a kite.