Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

floatingcow is on a distinguished road
Dangers cutting carpet out

So I'm ripping some old carpet out of my new (to me) 1988 Hunter. It was glued right to the fiberglass in my aft cabin. Any dangers related to using a utility knife (razor blade) to cut it into strips? It makes it easier but lightly marks into the fiberglass.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Dangers cutting carpet out

What do you plan to do once you uncover the Fiberglas sole? Making those scratches, marks on the Fiberglas won't harm anything structurally. It would look unsightly and would be impossible to sand or buff out. If you are covering the Fiberglas with some material it's not critical.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While the scoring of the fiberglass will never come out, I'm guessing you'll never get all the glue off either, so you're doomed to re-covering it somehow.

I do not like gluing carpet. However, if you make a good template of the floor out of brown wrapping paper, any local carpet supplier can make a custom piece for you. It really isn't very expensive, because the floor space on a boat is so small. Have them cut it to shape and bind the edges, if necessary. You may also consider having the back covered or the fiber webbing can shed, but that isn't mandatory. Then buy a large roll of carpet anti-slip padding and cut it to the same shape, just slightly smaller, with scissors. They will stay put and remain easily removable for cleaning or winter storage.

Some hard core salts look down their noses at carpet aboard, but we have a custom navy blue carpet in our salon. Very comfortable on bare feet, especially in the morning, and much warmer in the shoulder seasons here. (a cordless shop vac is a good idea, if you have carpet. DeWalt makes a great one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-21-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-21-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

As we are talking about what to use to cover the newly exposed sole; what about Allure flooring found in Home Depot? It is a resilient flooring (read vinyl) that glues together and floats on top of the subfloor. It mimics the color, feel, and texture of real wood and stone very well. The main issue might be how to hold it down and make it conform to any bends, angles, etc. worth a look into.

Tod
Old 12-21-2013

Thanks for the replys fellas. I tried to attach a photo from my phone but it's too large and I haven't figured out how to edit it yet. Anyhow...the carpet was/is actually on the walls of the whole damn hull. The carpets 25 years of life on a boat has not been as bad as one can imagine but it looked a bit streaked from moisture and there were some black spots that looked sn awfully lot like mold or maybe mildew. Wife an I've been cleaning the heck out of the boat and we decided the carpet had to go from the aft cabin and from the v berth where our one year old baby girl will be sleeping.I'll be covering the aft cabin with a mold/mildew resistant insulation followed by some plastic shower wall type material held on by velcro. The v berth will get the isulation, then a layer of formica covered in Nauga Soft also velcroed to the walls. I learned of the process on a youtube video posted by sailrite dotcom. I'll post some pics of the project. Thanks again for the help!
JD
tightlittletribe . com

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Come join our family as we introduce our little adventurer to a life of travel, backpacking, biking, sailing and some hard work aboard our 37ft sailboat, Gone Tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Cork also makes a dandy wall covering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
a cordless shop vac is a good idea, if you have carpet. DeWalt makes a great one
I run a 12V boat, but there are two (okay three if you count TV) 120V appliances on the boat: a stick blender and a vacuum cleaner. I've never found a 12V vacuum - plug in or rechargable - that can compete.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

the only thing I have to add here.. wear a mask or something when you pull the carpet up. When I moved into this place, I helped the owner replace the carpeting and I was sick for a week after doing it. Within hours I could feel my throat, sinuses, and lungs clogging up from all the crap I inhaled taking up what was 5 year old carpet.. just imagine what is behind your 20 year old carpet?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 12-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Cork also makes a dandy wall covering.

I run a 12V boat, but there are two (okay three if you count TV) 120V appliances on the boat: a stick blender and a vacuum cleaner. I've never found a 12V vacuum - plug in or rechargable - that can compete.
I have to say, this one does a pretty good job. It can run on both and 18v battery and on 110v ac. It is also both wet/dry.

DEWALT DC500 2-Gallon 12-to-18-Volt Cordless/Corded Wet/Dry Vacuum - Amazon.com DEWALT DC500 2-Gallon 12-to-18-Volt Cordless/Corded Wet/Dry Vacuum - Amazon.com

[Somewhat sheepishly, I will add that we actually have a central vacuum system aboard as well. Runs off shore power or the genset. All we haul/store is the hose and vac head. The motor and dust storage is buried below the floor. The DeWalt is more for cleaning the cockpit, work mess, etc]

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The area you're working on (actually properly called the 'ceilings' - go figure) can be finished in many different ways, with carpet being at the bottom, if even on, the list.

Most of these areas are at least a moderate compound curve making paneled or flat material (carpet/vinyl, etc) a bit of a challenge. A wood batten ceiling is my preferred 'fix'.
From this: (cushion against bare glass)

to this:

Another example:

And from Bruce Bingham's most excellent 'The Sailor's Sketchbook'.. one way to do it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2013

Here's an attempt at uploading a few images.
Keep the ideas coming guys!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Come join our family as we introduce our little adventurer to a life of travel, backpacking, biking, sailing and some hard work aboard our 37ft sailboat, Gone Tomorrow!