Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2005

dch is on a distinguished road
Best A/C system

I am about to buy and install a 16,000 btu A/C - Heat unit on my 38'' Beneteau. Any suggestions on what is the best system and what should I expect to pay for the installation if I do not want to install it myself?

Thanks,
dch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2005

boatbum is on a distinguished road
Best A/C system

Any one of the Marine Units today, the industry has weeded out the junk. Cruise Airrrrr is a good one, many like Mermaid. Do the install yourself. You will learn your system, and it is not difficult to do, just intimidating at first glance.
Old 02-26-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Best A/C system

Ditto on the Marine Airrrrrrrr I have installed a few and it is a good unit.You are making a good choice the 12.000 and the 16.000 in the Marine Airrrrr are the same size space requirment. Remember you have to upgrade your electrical to match the draw the AC unit will have some boats just need a new breaker and a switch wired in you can run the wire from the main to the unit and moynt the breaker with the on off switch next to the unit. The 16.000 is good for one duct and a foward vent,so the salon and your main sleeping area.
Old 03-14-2005

tsenator is on a distinguished road
Best A/C system

I really Liked the Flagship Marine System http://www.flagshipmarine.com/

I installed it myself - as did others

Highly rated by me and and a few people I know. I also like the -resistive heat- which works well cutting the chill when the boat is on the hard for the winter in the NorthEast.

Old 03-17-2005

maestro is on a distinguished road
Best A/C system

dch,

I''m a boat tech for a beneteau dealership and I just installed a marine air unit(air/heat) in a 323. To pay someone to do this will cost a fair bit of cash (in the neighborhood of $7000-$10000) because of the work hours needed ( 2 guys did it in about 50 hrs maybe this is becasue we wanted the install to look like it came from the factory on this new boat) there are lots of cuts, wiring, sump pump, fitting. But anyone can do this by themselves!!!!!!!!!! Save the money and do it yourself....although it is tedius work, it is not tough. All you have to do is think the process through and think about where the wires and hoses are going to go. Also you lose quite a bit of storage space in the lazerette (although a 38 has more room than a 323)