Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010

woodtraps is on a distinguished road
Vigil keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozRob View Post
Do you know where I can buy beg borrow or steal a VIGIL mars keyboard? My system worked fine til the keyboard was 'borrowed' by rodents (2 legged) one night. VIGIL mars electronics whereabouts would also be appreciated.
I happen to aquire 3 Virgil keyboards, 2 radar screens, one radar antenna and assorted wiring. Are you still interested in a keyboard?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2010

sailawye is on a distinguished road
Vigil RM Radar

Hi!

We have a Vigil RM Radar, but need the keyboard. Will yours work with that model? (if you have any left)

Thanks!

--Tony
Old 07-03-2010

woodtraps is on a distinguished road
I have 3 keyboards I will check the model number on them and will get back to you later on this evening.I also have 2 monitors and the antenna that goes with it
Respectfully yours,
Wilfred Morrison
Old 07-04-2010

sailawye is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Hope it is the right model. How much do you want for just the keyboard?

-Tony
Old 07-05-2010

hleland is on a distinguished road
Vigil radar parts

Wilfred Morrison,

I noticed your message re Vigil radar monitors. I'm interested in acquiring a Vigil radar monitor from the 1987-9 model years, and the model would be either an RX or RM type.

If the monitor you have is one of these, please send me an email to: hleland@aol.com.

Thanks, Hal Leland
Old 07-06-2010

kantala is on a distinguished road
Vigil

Hi - We posted something a few weeks ago about our Vigil RX, now available for parts. I tried to get parts without success both here and elsewhere. We ended up with a new Garmin but there are lots of things about the old Vigil that are superior. I was sad to see it go.

Here's the link to the parts we may still have. I say "may' because there's a local TV repair guy who may be playing with the parts in his spare time. If anyone is keen for them I could do some checking with him. And half of me still wants to find some spares, fix ours, and then on-sell the Garmin.

Vigil Radar parts available

Ciao -Kantala
Old 07-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, what did you find was superior about the VIGIL???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantala View Post
Hi - We posted something a few weeks ago about our Vigil RX, now available for parts. I tried to get parts without success both here and elsewhere. We ended up with a new Garmin but there are lots of things about the old Vigil that are superior. I was sad to see it go.

Here's the link to the parts we may still have. I say "may' because there's a local TV repair guy who may be playing with the parts in his spare time. If anyone is keen for them I could do some checking with him. And half of me still wants to find some spares, fix ours, and then on-sell the Garmin.

Vigil Radar parts available

Ciao -Kantala

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2010

Vigil radar v Garmin GMR 18HD

What was better about the old radar compared to the new Garmin? Quite a lot, actually.
1. The old Vigil RX could give 2 simultaneous ranges and bearings, whereas the new one won't give any unless you use its MARPA plotting, which is a pain.
2. The Vigil RX had much better side-lobe characteristics.
3. The Vigil RX had an infinitely adjustable Guard Zone, any size anywhere. Whereas the Garmin has a fixed non-adjustable circular zone which is far too close to the boat. Useless, completely useless in the real world.
4. The Vigil RX was far easier to use. The Garmin is an absurd series of menu choices for everything.
5. Leading on from that, the one thing that any experienced radar user does is continually adjust the Gain to suit the particular target he is looking at. From the moment I first went to sea decades ago I was taught to keep my fingers on the Gain control. The Vigil RX keypad was simple, a toggle bar, + at one end & - at the other. Perfect continuous control. But changing the Gain on the Garmin requires leaving the picture, then pushing at least half a dozen buttons before returning to the picture to discover that you need to do it all over again. Garmin will say "Ah, but we have Automatic Gain", which is true, but it's NOT as good as a human making intelligent choices about each target, and in some places the Automatic Gain is a complete pain.

There is more, but you get the idea. On the Plus side, the Garmin uses less than 2 amps, which is amazing (5 for the Vigil RX). The Garmin integrates with other stuff which is nice for some, and is part of a Plotter, which lots of people like. The Garmin has a very sensitive receiver, which is good, but that also means it picks up returns from even a weak side-lobe, which is bad.
The Garmin is 36 mile, as opposed to the Vigil RX 32, but really, that doesn't amount to anything in the real world.
The MARPA is nice, and works OK by itself if you don't mind pushing lots of buttons while NOT having the screen alive. It should be connected to a compass to give better reports. I'm in the process of cross-connecting the Autopilot NMEA into the radar, which will help MARPA (and enable the navigator to get ranges and bearings to a point, which should be the FIRST thing a radar does).
The Garmin is small, and the wires are small. The data is transmitted via Ethernet cable which is VERY good.

I am deeply disappointed that the Garmin doesn't allow accurate ranges, ie the only scrolling range is part of the MARPA.
What really pisses me off about the Garmin GMR18 HD is that it crashes !! Yes, I've discovered a few things which crash it.The first was when I attempted to change the Transmit/Standby times, which the manual says is possible. Crash! Every time!
The Brightness control is a pain, and is supposed to have an Auto Day/Night function. Doesn't work.

All in all, the Garmin could have been a good radar. It's as if it was brought onto the market a year to soon. I'd like to fire the programmers and hire some who have actually been to sea.

Enough - Kantala
Old 07-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have you checked to see if your Garmin 18HD has the latest firmware?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2010

Yes, definitely the latest software. We don't have much time right now, but when we do we'll go lean on the desk of the nearest Garmin support people and see if we can get some answers.

That may be a LOL (Lots-of-Luck) situation. They've never given us any support before, and don't reply to emails or requests for help on their web-site