Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013

aelkin is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite Boat Shoe???

Anybody ever wear Chuck Taylor All-Stars??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013

jeremiahblatz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelkin View Post
A couple of folks I sail with swear by them. Fairly cheap, dry well (don't smell), fairly grippy. Other folks I crew with have tried them and don't like them. You need to wear socks, and being cotton, they suck when it gets cool.
Old 12-30-2013

three-quartertime is on a distinguished road

The most comfortable boat shoe I've owned was a pair of Sperry's Billfish. Bought them about a year ago. I liked them so much about a month later I went back and bought another pair. I didn't bother trying them on at the store. I figured same style shoe and same size, what could go wrong. Well about two months ago I broke out the second pair. Thought I would wear them around the house to break them in a little. Unlike the first pair, they were a tight fit. After a couple of days my feet hurt so bad, I gave up. That's when I discovered the two pairs were made in different countries. Lesson learned: try the shoes on before buying. Don't assume sizes are uniform even if it's the same make/style shoe. I was fortunate in this instance. WM took them back without hesitation.
Old 12-30-2013

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road

I got a pair of Reef Spiniker's paying no attention to the name implying they are a sailing shoe... pure coincidence. But they are however an excellent shoe for sailing. The thing I like most about them is that the sole is very thin and feels more like a foot glove than say a clunky boot. They probably arent water proof but I got caught in a storm this summer and got drenched for a good 20 mins but they stayed dry to my surprise. Other thing I like about them is I can wear them to the office on a hike or to burning man. what a shoe.
Old 12-30-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelkin View Post
Love 'em! Grippy, comfy, good looking. I wear the low-tops.
Old 12-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by three-quartertime View Post
The most comfortable boat shoe I've owned was a pair of Sperry's Billfish. Bought them about a year ago. I liked them so much about a month later I went back and bought another pair. I didn't bother trying them on at the store. I figured same style shoe and same size, what could go wrong. Well about two months ago I broke out the second pair. Thought I would wear them around the house to break them in a little. Unlike the first pair, they were a tight fit. After a couple of days my feet hurt so bad, I gave up. That's when I discovered the two pairs were made in different countries. Lesson learned: try the shoes on before buying. Don't assume sizes are uniform even if it's the same make/style shoe. I was fortunate in this instance. WM took them back without hesitation.
All the recent Sperry's I have seen were made in China, where were these made and what one was more comfortable? I have noticed some size difference as well, and thought I was just getting fatter! The soles on the Chinese made shoes don't seem to last nearly as long as the old made in US ones did. They seem to get hard and slippery much quicker. I used to get a several years out of them wearing them every day, in the creek, and to school back in the 1980's. Of course back then there was only one style and one color. Big choice was if you were a topsider or docksider person.

Of course you can still get the made in US Top Siders but they are $250. Not sure if they use the same soles or if they are the same.
Old 12-30-2013

Scottyrocket is on a distinguished road

Boat shoes have been a source of frustration for me recently, particularly since I seem to have become a more regular foredecky on the boat I'm racing on.

I've tried Ronstan neoprene topped ankle boots and found they stunk to high heaven so I tried my Keen Newport's, they proved quite slippery as soon as the bow got wet, which is always. Besides that, I wasn't that happy having dark soles on someone else's boat.

Recently I purchased Helly Hansen Sailpower's and have found them to be so slippery that I almost went over the side on the weekend. Some of the guys in our crew recommend Dunlop Volley's. Because they're only about $20 a pair I will probably try them next.

Any suggestions for a winter boot that is suitable for the foredeck would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-30-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of the Crocs "Beach Line" boat shoes and love them......they are utlra comfy, don't get soggey when it rains, and don't have anything in them that soaks up and hangs on to stink.

I also have a pair of dive boots I keep on the boat for days when it is cold and wet - in these harsh Florida winters it's important to keep your extremeties from getting too frosty!
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 12-30-2013
Silversailor

asilverman is on a distinguished road

Rugged Shark makes a number oif 3 eyelet boat shoes available in med and wide widths. Very comfortable. Good support. Good grip. Priced cheaper than Sperry and discounted regularly.
Old 12-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilverman View Post
Rugged Shark makes a number oif 3 eyelet boat shoes available in med and wide widths. Very comfortable. Good support. Good grip. Priced cheaper than Sperry and discounted regularly.
I have seen these at Famous Footwear outlets, and wondered if they are any good. I think they had some on sale for like $25. Perhaps I will pick up a pair.

By the way if you are cheap like me, DSW had a bunch of Sperry's on sale for around $50 or so some canvas, some leather and none in my size.
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 12-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.