Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-27-2013

Stede is on a distinguished road
Hood-"Sea Furl" furling system bearing replacement

Hi everyone. I would like to get your input concerning an issue I'm having with my boat. My Mariner 36 sailboat has a "Hood"- "Sea Furl" furling system. The system uses regular metal mechanical bearings in both the halyard swivel unit, and the drum at the bottom of the extrusion piece that covers the forestay. I've verified the halyard swivel unit bearings have a lot of corrosion, and suspect the bearings in the bottom drum does as well. To remove and replace the bearings I need to remove the forestay at the bow and remove both of the furling system units. I intend to support the furling system extrusion that covers the forestay with the jib halyard while doing this. The only other halyard I have is for the mainsail. Maybe I could use it as an additional safety as a temporary forestay while doing the work? The mast of my boat is keel stepped. I'm nervous about taking the forestay loose to do this work. Will the remaining stays on both starboard, port, and the backstay support the mast properly while I do this work?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Hood-"Sea Furl" furling system bearing replacement

Keel Steeped? How big is the boat? I would try and use a halyard at the front of the mast, but if you don't have a spare and you plan on using your jib halyard for something else during the process, then you can run the main halyard to the bow. The stick won't fall over being keel stepped.

I would first losen the rigging on the lowers intermediates and backstay equally. Lets say 5 full turns on each. Then take off the forestay and furler.

Install new bearings and re-install forestay and furler, then put the 5 turns back on. Sight up the mast, check to see if it's in column, and you should be GTG. It gets tricky on boats that are deck stepped, but then you just run a spare line to the bow to act as a forestay, and add a little tension to it. No worries.
Old 12-27-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Hood-"Sea Furl" furling system bearing replacement

The jib halyard will be plenty. As long as no one pushes hard on the mast you could do nothing and it wouldn't come down (it wouldn't be safe, but it wouldn't come down).

Seafurl is the generic name for all Hood furlers. Do you know which one you have? Is it single line or double line?