Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I owned a herreshof h28 ketch I refit and "restored" and bought in alameda california...it had rot in the stuffing box plank and that was it...it leaked bad....as soon as that was fixed I had one of the most regarded heavy duty and sweet sailing wooden boats of all time
[snip]
avoid hearsay and research the boats you are looking at intensly, Im glad to offer any insight or help if I can

cheers
This is more or less the situation I'd like to recreate for myself. An 8.5m ketch wouldn't necessarily be my thing - but as you mention old and wood does not necessarily mean disproportionately expensive or slow. Not slow if you compare it to other yachts at the same displacement.

Of course a wooden boat can be expensive. I've been around marinas and boats for many decades now and almost every boat I was in, on or around was plastic. My boats have all been plastic - I'm not down on the stuff. But those plastic boats can and do suffer many of the same issues of a wooden boat. I knew a scarab which had to have the whole stern cut off and another built up - soggy marine plywood. A Grady had to have most of the cockpit sole cut out due to balsa rot. I don't think either of the boats represent the norm and I'm not knocking power boats. I'm a certified drop the hammer and go kind of a guy.

I just have a hard time accepting that a recreational wooden boat in the 8m class is necessarily a lot more expense or trouble than the plastic boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Seriously, intervention?
OK, here goes. I've sailed on and operated a great many wooden vessels over the last 50+ years and I love them, each and every one.
The oldest I've sailed on was built in 1886, the oldest I've operated professionally was built in 1906 and the oldest I've owned was built in 1909 and she brought me to a safe harbor after 5 days in a SoPac hurricane at 65 years old.
[snip]
I could go on, but perhaps this much has made that intervention successful.
Again, I love wooden boats; the feel, sea kindliness and warmth cannot be beat. But owning a wooden boat today, especially a classic, is for the very rich, and not a sailor's pastime; it's a career.
One can not ignore the voice of first hand experience. Thanks for taking the time, I'm going to have to digest this a bit.

While I can't point to one right this minute I'm sure there's a soling around which is at least as pretty as the mystery yacht I'm looking at.
Old 12-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

The outbound is my " last boat" and only one I ever bought new. It was spec'd with NO exterior wood. Builder snuck in a 2"x2" piece of wood under the bow nav light. " to appease the teak gods". It's been left bare. Epiphanies stock dropped 5 points.

Wood is fine as long as it strip plank or cold molded. Plank on frame will find you broke,divorced and unable to find a marina that will give you a slip. Still read Wooden Boat and drool.
Old 12-29-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Douglas, this is easy, really. I want you to go to a cigar store and buy a wooden cigar box, preferably an old used one, not a new one. Now, put it in a sauna for a couple of days. If there's no sauna around (I understand some of the poor people don't have them) just place it in your shower for a day under hot running water.

Now, take that cigar box, clean it, dry it, and bring it back to me fully varnished and shiny all around, with no damages, no loose joints, and to prove it, I want you to buy six very expensive Cuban cigars, put them IN the box, and place it back in the shower with the water running for an hour.

If the cigars are dry and the box is gleaming, you're the kind of guy who should buy a wooden boat.

If the cigars are in any way damaged...wood is not for you. Pay homage to it, wave at it, admire it, but do not even think about owning it. Enjoy some fine brandy with the new cigars you buy to replace the soggy ones, and remember that.

Tags
wooden boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.