Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road
intervention councelor(s) needed...

Thanks for taking the time to read, I appreciate it.

I guess the beginning is a good start - but that makes for a long story. So, skipping ahead to the current epoch, I just joined sail net. Hi, my name is Douglas and I'm a sailor...

This post is a plea for help and parts of it might fit better under different topic headings, so I hope this isn't too off topic.

I'm struggling with the compulsion brothers and sisters, and this time the devil really has me in hand... I'm looking at wooden boats. I'm in San Clemente California and I can see the Dana Point marina from here. Yes a wooden boat andthe the country's most expensive municipal marina. And no, I've never owned a wooden boat.

I've seen a few threads and I get the idea that there are some old hands here on sail net who reside in my area (Dana Point/Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach) in Southern California and I'd really appreciate a shout out if that fits you. If you know anything about wooden boats (and I mean anything, like knowing someone who knows someone who could do a meaningful survey on a wooden boat) I really would love to hear from you.

I've spent a few afternoons in dingies in NPB harbor and that is how much I know about the local conditions. So if you'd like to introduce yourself and help me understand the local conditions, do's and don'ts, and who's who that too would be great.

Best regards
Douglas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy sanding, varnishing and painting whilst gazing longingly at those unfortunate souls in plastic boats that are actually out sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
floatingPoint (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

What's NPB?
Old 12-28-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
What's NPB?
Newport Beach
Old 12-28-2013

Diversailer is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: intervention councelor(s) needed...

Douglas,
You will be fine. First turn your head, rotate your dingy 180 degrees... away from that fine ship built from recycling materials...that will need much care, replacement, even more elbow grease and safety materials to protect you, so many more times..

Now take one step, dig in with an oar.. ok that is good... the next step, oar...ok, you are doing fine keep going... YES! You can do it!.... no do not think of turning back, your blood shall turn to turpentine... That's good... keep going.

Say, did you hear there are a mess of boats for sale, just around the point?
I saw a 50' Gulfstar for about $1000/ft... it might need a bit of work...
look around!
R
Dr Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Diversailer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy sanding, varnishing and painting whilst gazing longingly at those unfortunate souls in plastic boats that are actually out sailing
That's medicine I need! ... but core rot? blisters? delamination? print through? separation? color fade? thigh blisters from the hot plastic?

Still you've hit the nail on the head. I think it's clear that fiber glass is wonderful material for boats. In fact it might not be too far from the truth to blame the recreational marine industry on fiberglass. I can't say exactly how much more difficult a wooden boat is to maintain. I do know that in San Francisco they beat the living tar out of folkboats - about half of which are wood. So I'm hoping the proposition isn't totally insane.
Old 12-28-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
newport beach
tks azg
Old 12-28-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Most of my maintenance headaches are from the teak that Bristol bolted to the fiberglass hull..... I can't begin to imagine if the whole thing was wood, what fun I'd have.....
Old 12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversailer View Post
Douglas,
You will be fine. First turn your head, rotate your dingy 180 degrees... away from that fine ship built from recycling materials...that will need much care, replacement, even more elbow grease and safety materials to protect you, so many more times..

[snip]

R
Dr Ed
keep it coming... I need to hear this. The big bad maintenance monster who lives under every wooden boat. Here's my level of delusion - I don't really buy it.

Consider exhibit PF (plastic fantastic) and WE (worm eaten).

PF and WE
wenches, running, standing and sails samie-samie

PF and WE
top deck, bright work and hatches samie-samie *

*okay some little PF have absolutely no bright work. Some aren't even finished on the inside of the hull other than hanging bunks. But a lot of boats do come with wooden hatches, seats and soles exactly as the wooden boat.

PF and WE
communication and navigation samie-samie

PF and WE
keel, rudder and bottom samie-samie

If we start with PF and WE new they'd both serve well for many years. As a class many fiberglass boats rely on their wooden cores for strength and to alleviate flex wear issues. To serve as mount points for power plants and provide backing for wenches. So most PF aren't free from wood deteriorating. Sure - there's a lot more of it in the WE. On the other hand you can get the wood on WE to dry out if it becomes water logged, but the stuff sealed up in fiberglass has to be cut out. I'm thinking this is a toss up - one particular WE might have a lot less rot expense than a particular PF.

And fiberglass fades. Now the WE can be (yea, alright must be) painted with a brush. Again every boat is different but in time the fiberglass develops cracks in the rounded corners, at flex locations etc. That is tedious and expensive to repair and the WE doesn't have any of these worries.

Eventually the wooden yacht will need to be pulled, partially disassembled (deck removed) and the inside of the hull attended to (maybe no more than repaint ). The plastic yacht doesn't have this step - but they also have the periodic major refit which covers a lot of the work you'd do on the wooden yacht.

Wood is a living thing even though you have to kill a tree to get wood. The wood will move with the weather and seasons. That works against water tight joints. So there will always be more in the bilge of the wooden yacht (at least in the size I'm talking about). Now for me, the little stream of water coming down around the mast isn't a thing. I'm probably a lot wetter out in the cockpit.

The thing is I'm not looking at a new wooden boat. They still make those you know. I think a lot of the bad rap that wood has gotten is from old boats (exactly like the one I'm looking at) which need a complete redo and someone tries to do this either without the skills, or the money, or the shop. When there are 80 year old pastic boats out there (and it won't be that long now) things might look different.
Old 12-28-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

A wooden boat will last forever. But rather like the broom, it'll be 200 years old and you'd only had to replace all the deck twice, all the hull planks 3 times, the stringers twice, the mast three times
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:

Tags
wooden boat