Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-18-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
New ports

I want to replace the small windows in my boat with opening ports (what good is a window that doesn"t open?). It looks like I will have to enlarge my openings slightly - like 1/2 inch or so. I have a fiberglass pan type interior, which means that areas of my cabin top have air between the inner ond outer skins. If enlarging the openings puts me into the territory of an air space, I was thinking I could fill the air space with wood or plastic so that the new port has a solid surface to mount to. Thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
New ports

If I were you - and there was a space at least a few inches wide in all directions around the port - I would consider buying some Good Stuff (expandable closed cell foam in a pressurized can, available at Home Depot for a few dollars) and laying a bead inside that gap, all the way around. Given that the foam can expand in two directions, you won''t risk any expansion of the liner...and in any event, I find this easier to work with than some anxious comments suggest. The foam will dry hard, provide rigidity when mounting the new frames, and help prevent leaks from penetrating down inside the liner (altho'' it won''t form a seal for the cabin''s interior).

Jack
Old 03-21-2005

capnjim02 is on a distinguished road
New ports

I replaced all my small ports on my O''day last year and was having the same problem with water getting between the inner and outer shell. the gap wasn''t the same dimension top to bottom. so i did what whoose suggested to do. used great stuff to fill the gap. the beauty is that the foam makes a great seal and is flexable so any movement between the two surfaces doesnt break the water tight seal. i then installed ports and did a back up seal around the edge before installing the trim rings.
a word of caution, make sure you put some thing down to catch any great stuff thar may drip or foam over to interior or onto decks. that stuff is a bitch to get off if it drips onto a deck. been there done that.