Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2005

aphil138 is on a distinguished road
Wind Gen. Mount on a Ketch

I am trying to decide where to mount my new wind generator. I purchased a Marine-x generator at the boat show in the fall. Now I am trying to mount it. I own a Pearson 424 Ketch, so I have the choice of either putting it on the upper half of the mizzen mast or all the way up.
All the way up would be easier as it involves just mounting a pole at the head of the mast. Maintenance would be harder being up so high, but it would be out of the way of everything. Mounting it just above the radar dome is a little bit more expensive (really not a factor) but is a little more difficult to install (plus the marina operator has a hard time getting the mizzen mast up and down). I might be wanting to fly a mizzen staysil and I am not sure if it will get in the way. So I am looking for some opinions/advice from anyone who as experience with this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

A:

As it happens, our WHOOSH is a Pearson 424 and, when fitting out some years ago, we bought an AirMarine unit. I chose the masthead position and am thankful I did. What noise there is (not much, thankfully) is a bit further away from us & everyone else, and a mizzen staysail on a P424 is a secret weapon - you really don''t want to give up the option of using that sail, which a mid-mast mount position would preclude.

There are several mounting options at the masthead, and I must say - when mounting it, and also after a storm and with the wind gen DOA and needing to come down - it can be a religious experience to handle the wind gen while at the masthead with both hands above your head.<g> If you''d like to correspond about the details, something not likely to interest non-P424 owners, feel free to email me.

Jack
jack_patricia @ yahoo.com without the spaces
Old 03-30-2005

maxim_rfeld is on a distinguished road

I am going through the same thing. My ketch is 36’. I decided to go for KISS and install it halfway up on the mizzen, just above radar. You mention maintenance issue with the mast top mounting, but there is other one: weight aloft. I think that is already bad that we’ll have so much weight up there, I would think lets keep it at least as low as possible.

Max.
Old 03-30-2005

aphil138 is on a distinguished road

I think with a 24,000 pound boat a few extra pounds is not going to matter much. Besides I''d hate to give up the mizzen staysil. One of these days I am going to learn how to fly it.
I could be wrong.....
Alab