Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2005

palacegrand is on a distinguished road
Dark topsides colours

Hi folks.
I''ve pretty much decided that I need to paint the topsdes on my Ranger 28. The gel coat is just too far gone so it''s time to paint. Will be one of the one-part urethanes (Brightside or Easypoxy)and it''ll be roll & tip application. I was all set to go with an offwhite look when I saw some pictures of dark-hulled Rangers (red, green, dark blue). Very nice.
So I''m wondering if there are any folks out there that can bring some experience to the table. i.e.
- How well or long has the dark paint lasted?
- Any problems in repairing scratches etc?
- Would you do it again?

Thanks,
Craig
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2005

RichH will become famous soon enough
Dark topsides colours

Single part Urethanes look good for only bout 2 years then turn chalky. 2 part Urethanes last a lot longer. 2 part application is easy if you have two people rolling and tipping. Do an article archive search on Sailnet to read Don Caseys method of 2 pat application that results ''almost'' in a ''sprayed-look; finish.

Changing to dark colors can be a problem. Unless the boat has an extra thick matting layer under the gelcoat you risk further heat curing the gelcoat with the result of ''print-through'' of the structural roving, etc. layers. Go through any boat yard and carefully look at any old boat that has been painted a dark color - usually you will see lots of perceptable ''bumps'' all over the hull - thats ''print-through''. With a dark hull the thermal stresses will cause the styrene to further cure and that causes the surface ''wrinkling''. .... plus dark colored boats are hotter-then-hell inside during the summer. They ARE beautiful, especially the contrast of the dark hull and light cabin tops ..... but unfortunately you usually only own ONE dark hulled boat in your lifetime.

Painting a boat is a very last resort as once you paint there is no going back. Usually most gelcoat can be wet sanded and buffed back to show-room quality with a little bet of effort - thats how they do it when the boat is pulled from its mold !!! If you have gouges and scrapes these can be repaired by local gelcoat ''artists''. Always better to try to restore the gelcoat .... as paint (no matter what kind of paint) .... is always at risk to lift and peel when long term wetted.
Old 03-20-2005

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Dark topsides colours

I have a 34'' sailboat that was painted dark blue. I presently have her moored in a slip that faces to the north. I have had her in this slip for almost two years. I noticed toward the end of last summer a lot of crazing on the port side. This would be the side of the boat that faces due west. There is no crazing on the starboard side (the side that faces east eternally). Since discovering the crazing I have covered the port side with tarps hung from the stantions and no new crazing is apparant. I contacted DIY and inquired into what was the probable cause of the crazing on the port side that continually faced toword the west. The consensus was this was caused by the dark blue paint to cause the hull to increase in temperature to a point it craeated a situation that the paint and gell coat crazed. As soon as I can I will paint the hull white. I hope this helps you. Peter
Old 03-23-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Dark topsides colours

Clearcoat makes some good gel coat you can get it in quarts. if you have places that need to be repaired tape them off with blue tape paint it on and after it cures wet sand with 400 then 600 and then buff. The 400-600 can be done on the whole hull just be careful not to sand through. Keep in mind that the gel coat will be some where around 2 to 3/32 of an inch thick and can be thinner. Gel coat beats paint any day try and save it first.Forget the dark hull it makes it to hot in the summer and requires allot of waxing to keep it for a short time.