Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vacuum Sealing Gear and Supplies

The ziplock bags, even the thicker freezer bags, are not impermeable. I'd guess the vacuum bags are made from a different material for different purposes. And that the ziplock bags are either untested or unfit for boiling, maybe the plasticizers migrate out.

Plasticizers routinely migrate out of "rubbers" and plastics and perhaps that would be made worse in a vacuum bag. Or maybe not. If you just sealed them without a hard vacuum, and used Armorall (etc) or talc before putting them away....Is there still time to apply for federal grant money to study this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't vacuume seal my entire luggage, but there is always a t-shirt, pair of shorts, and some undies vaccume sealed in my sail bag.
I hadn't thought of that, but I may well start vacuum-sealing my nice clothes for meeting with C&I.
-OvO- likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2014

RTee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I hadn't thought of that, but I may well start vacuum-sealing my nice clothes for meeting with C&I.
Not quite sure I would do that. I recall a story from a tactical aviator to the effect that, upon the advice he had received from a crew chief, he had ''emergency clothing'' consisting of a civilian shirt, slacks, sox and undies vacuum packed by the safety systems folks into a single bag that he carried in his flight bag where space was at a premium, just in case he might have to do an unforeseen and unforecasted overnight somewhere. Well, a year and a bit later, the crew chief advice did pay off, as he and his crew got stranded in a small village due to inclement weather. After checking in at the local hotel, he finally cut open the bag and extracted his clothes. Trying as hard as he could that evening, he was never able to get rid of the well encrusted wrinkles that developed through the process and time spent in the bag.
Old 01-01-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I have never had a wrinkle problem, but I am careful to roll things up not fold them. That being said I also don't leave them in the bag for long, a few weeks at the longest.

I should also point out that the vacuume saver jars are terrible. I have had a few and they all fail in weeks. However the large mouth jar sealer is amazing, but it does raise the problem of having glass jars on board.
Old 01-01-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have never had a wrinkle problem, but I am careful to roll things up not fold them. That being said I also don't leave them in the bag for long, a few weeks at the longest.

I should also point out that the vacuume saver jars are terrible. I have had a few and they all fail in weeks. However the large mouth jar sealer is amazing, but it does raise the problem of having glass jars on board.
Yes all the plastic containers they sell fail quickly. I like the idea of the jar sealer though. It is nice to have a stiff walled container for soft items I don't want to crush.
Old 01-01-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yes all the plastic containers they sell fail quickly. I like the idea of the jar sealer though. It is nice to have a stiff walled container for soft items I don't want to crush.
They are also almost infinitely reusable. At home I have most of my pantry in bell jars. The smaller jars are great, you can seal single use sizes like one cup of rice, or popcorn in each jar. It just takes a few minutes when you bring home a big bag of stuff, but then nothing goes stale.

Just off hand some of my favorites for this...

1) rice
2) peanuts (other snack food)
3) popcorn
4) chocolate covered nuts/raisin
5) granola
6) flour (in 2 and 4 cup sizes)
7) sugar (1 cup at a time)

Bah. Now I sound like a vacuume saver nut.... I really do think these things are amazingly useful once you start playing with them.
Old 01-02-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I'm not a fan of heating plastics in food, but FoodSaver (Jarden) says that their bags are made from polyethylene glycol and nylon, and don’t contain BPA, phthalates, or other plasticizers with EA (estrogenic activity)-leaching additives. Still, I avoid it. I don't want to read a study about some plasticizer or other surprise down the road.

That being said, I am vac sealing all kinds of leftovers in small portions for the freezer. I'll just remove it before re-heating.

Another incredible new application for the FoodSaver ... it can reseal mylar potato-chip type bags (vac sealed or just sealed without vac).

Yesterday, I just stuck three pairs of vac sealed socks in my forward berth. My life is forever changed.
groggy likes this.
Old 01-02-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Another incredible new application for the FoodSaver ... it can reseal mylar potato-chip type bags (vac sealed or just sealed without vac).
You can also seal wine bladders. I've carried lemonade and various juices in repurposed wine bladders.
miatapaul likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

David, if you're using the mylar chip bags for your socks, they may be a little salty and crunchy when you go to wear them. You might want to turn the bag inside out next time.

1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-02-2014

jeremiahblatz is on a distinguished road

Kind of an aside, but at least the Zip-Lock brand freezer bags are microwave safe (and BPA free), so won't leach out anything if you boil them.

Tags
bagging , food storage , sealing , storage , vacuum