Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Vacuum Sealing Gear and Supplies

We received a new vacuum sealer (FoodSaver) for Christmas and while its primary duties are for our home kitchen (sealing food for freezing or long-term dry storage), I've already vac sealed a set of flares, batteries, and some dry food for the boat. It's admittedly addictive and satisfying to see the air suck out of these items in a water-tight brick.

Has anyone else used a vac sealer for their supplies? I'd like to hear some uses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Vacuum Sealing Gear and Supplies

Don't get me started...

I own three, one at home, one on the boat, and one at the office.

Some of my favorite uses
1) the jar adapter lets you vaccume seal anything that fits in jars
2) sealing documents and papers. Like wills, passports, titles, ect... They are still readable, but immune from water damage.
3) spare parts (though not rubber or anything with volatile compounds that can evaporate). It keeps parts together, visible, and sealed.
4) one serving meals that can be frozen and reheated easily
5) clothes. Keeps them dry and tightly packed.
6) medicines
7) money
8) I seal things like packs of common nuts bolts and washerstogether. I may have a few of the same size, but this way I can grab a bag and have everything there.

Basically anything that needs to be kept dry no matter what is a good canidate, or as a way to keep a group of things together.

Protecting stuff from salt air is also a favorite, like replacement electronic parts, spare radio, batteries, ect..
downeast450 and dvuyxx like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
dvuyxx (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Why not rubber? Does it react with the plastic?
Old 12-31-2013

I have no evidence, but I am concerned that the vacuume may accelerate the speed that the VOC's evaporate and accelerate dry rot.
Old 12-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Don't get me started...

I own three, one at home, one on the boat, and one at the office.

Basically anything that needs to be kept dry no matter what is a good canidate, or as a way to keep a group of things together.
Me, too - although I only own one... :-)

Definitely, one of the most useful 'household' appliances you can have on a boat...

One of their best applications, especially on a small boat like mine, is for the maximization of stowage of otherwise bulky paper products... Rolls of paper towels, toilet paper, can be compacted into flat little 'bricks' that can be stowed anywhere... Seems like every cruise I take, I unearth another roll of paper towels I sealed and tucked away somewhere years ago :-)

Another great home gadget is a paper laminator... I don't carry one aboard, but virtually anything printed on paper of any value on my boat, has been laminated...

Because, well... You never know... :-)
Old 12-31-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

OK, this "seals" it, I'm getting one.

I've always wanted one for cooking. I've played around with using ziploc bags for easy clean-up cooking. I've put the vegetarian egg scramble in one bag, the meat-and-goodness filled egg scramble in another, and some black beans in a third. They all go in a pot of boiling water. You haven't dirtied any dishes cooking, and you have a pot of clean, hot water to use to wash up the plates and forks and such. Sort of low-rent sous vide cooking.

A vacuum sealer would make that a lot easier, and would eliminate the occasional blow-out of a failed ziploc. Combined with the idea of vacuum sealing toilet paper and such? Brilliant!
Old 12-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
OK, this "seals" it, I'm getting one.

I've always wanted one for cooking. I've played around with using ziploc bags for easy clean-up cooking. I've put the vegetarian egg scramble in one bag, the meat-and-goodness filled egg scramble in another, and some black beans in a third. They all go in a pot of boiling water. You haven't dirtied any dishes cooking, and you have a pot of clean, hot water to use to wash up the plates and forks and such. Sort of low-rent sous vide cooking.

A vacuum sealer would make that a lot easier, and would eliminate the occasional blow-out of a failed Ziploc. Combined with the idea of vacuum sealing toilet paper and such? Brilliant!
Yea, I don't think zip locks are really meant to take the heat. The vacuum bags have a very different material, stiffer and stronger. The bags are quite expensive but can be reused for dry goods, just keep making the bag smaller each time. I hate going into Wall-Mart but they seem to have the cheapest supplies. And for some reason wholesale clubs have good deals on the machines with large collections of bags. The wide mouth jar adapter is good if you happen to have canning jars around.

They show people using it to compress sweaters and what not, but the bags are quite expensive for that. I recently saw a collection of plastic containers that had a manual vacuum pump to pull out the air from that and looked reasonably low cost may have to try them(Zevro brand). I have also used the wine corks for years, but rarely don't finish a bottle I open, so don't even know where that system is!
Old 12-31-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Good stuff.

If you reheat vacuum sealed food in the bag putting a trivit or folded dish towel in the bottom of the pot avoids melting the plastic. You can even reheat in sea water.

If you buy Foodsaver brand you can register it with the company online and get electronic coupons for bags and rolls several times each year.
downeast450 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I have also used the wine corks for years, but rarely don't finish a bottle I open, so don't even know where that system is!
Yeah, I rarely have a problem with leftover wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If you reheat vacuum sealed food in the bag putting a trivit or folded dish towel in the bottom of the pot avoids melting the plastic.
Thank you, good advice. In my ziploc experiments there's always some air left in the bag, so they tend to float to the top. I can see how with the vacuum sealer you'd get food packs that are heavier than water.
Old 12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Another great home gadget is a paper laminator... I don't carry one aboard, but virtually anything printed on paper of any value on my boat, has been laminated...

Because, well... You never know... :-)
The problem with laminators is they can destroy the legal value of a document even if they are completely readable. SSN cards are notorious for being laminated, which makes them worthless. Self authenticating documents (wills, deeds, anything notarized) also have this problem. Which is why in my legal practice I actually vacuume seal original documents like this. Easily identified, and if you need them for some reason you just cut them out of the bag. Of course living in New Orleans we have some major concerns for water damaged documents...

MiataPaul,

I don't vacuume seal my entire luggage, but there is always a t-shirt, pair of shorts, and some undies vaccume sealed in my sail bag. All three in one big bag (to keep them together), and then individually again. So no matter how much the deck hatch leaks I always know I have at least one clean dry change of clothes to put on. In fact I usually make this pack up in the beginning of the season and toss it in the bag, then forget about it until the end of the season... But when you need it it is great. Nothing like stepping off onto the deck looking presentable and clean while everyone else is wet, because you took a wave over the bow while the deck hatch was open and everyone's stuff is smoking wet.

Additional ideas

1) spare medication
2) tampons
3) the boats emergency tool kit
4) a few cigars

If you can't tell I really think these are one of the best tools out there for sailors. They also open up all new storage places. Think using the bilge to store spares. Normally you wouldn't dream of it because of the water issue, but with stuff in these bags who cares... And it help take up room so the bilge pump can extract more water from the boat.

Tags
bagging , food storage , sealing , storage , vacuum