Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
HAS ANYONE here made an ANCHOR?

just curious...please dont shoot the messenger

Im interested in this topic...given that I am no where near a place that sell anchors for cruising boats...

plenty of danforths and fishing boat traditinal anchors but Im not interested in that

ideas?

materials?

galvanised or stainless or mild steel painted?

really would like some ideas from like minded people, I need one for my boat, in the 35lb range Id love that new mantus, and the price looks great but unless they ship for free im screwed!

HAPPY NEW YEAR in advance

christian from 3 doors down! jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2013

Bob142 is on a distinguished road
Re: HAS ANYONE here made an ANCHOR?

Are you in Salvador now?...You probably have access to welders that work comparatively cheap...Stainless is the best but may be harder to get there... Galvanized is toxic to weld so is usually welded up first and then galvanized..Mild steel and painted will probably be the cheapest and easiest and will last a reasonable time...There are quite a few home project anchors in this part of the coast...copies of new style anchors matching shape and angle which is important...Most were oversized as the cost of a little extra material is small compared to labor ...and I personally haven't heard of any failures...
Lou452 and christian.hess like this.

Any storm in a port...
Old 12-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think given the other thread, this may not be a bad idea for you. I would use galvanized steel, not stainless if you plan on actually using it. Stainless is not good for use underwater. If you want it to be shiny on deck and use it only a few nights a year then stainless is good. Seems you should be able to find some used ones locally? Perhaps you could become a distributor for one of the anchor companies and sell them out of your restaurant! I can here it now "I would like the fish special, baked potato, double vegetable, a rum and coke oh and throw in and a 35 pound anchor on the side, to go please! And make it quick my boat is dragging!"

You make me want to come down and visit. I had a girl friend in college who was from there back in the early 80's I think her father was some big wig in the government, and one of her friends told me to watch out for him! But you know how you can be when you are young, dumb and in love. Luckily I was only in love for a week or so!
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-31-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Yes I am a welder by trade. Had some scrap so the cost of metal was $0 dollars. You can use stainless steel. It would be the best for a home built. I would recommend 316 SS, It can be cut with a thin grinding wheel, You can dill it use a slow speed on the drill and lots of oil to cool the bit. You can weld it... tig is best, stick then mig,
Economies of scale might make it better to Buy because they make thousands you will make ? They test and you will toss it and hope ? The post that I just liked says so much ! Find a local they might get into making it more like an art piece. Maybe you can try a trade school.
Worse case get some Concrete , Rod, Chain. Rocks and heavy junk
Happy New Year, Lou
Old 12-31-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I saw someone build a knockoff on another forum. DO not remember what brand they copied, but IIRC they too were a welder or equal, and had access to some cheap material, so had fun with it.

marty
Old 12-31-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I've made many.
Stainless will eat the first links of a galvanized chain with electrolysis if you leave it down any length of time.
Lou452 and christian.hess like this.
Old 12-31-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The only thing I have made is deadweight moorings.

1) build a box
2) drop old engine block into box
3) fill box with large scrap steel
4) fill box with concrete
5) insert a couple of galvanized rings
6) let concrete cure
7) drop box in water

For actual anchors I can't help much... Take a trip to the states and carry one home as luggage?
Old 12-31-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I think given the other thread, this may not be a bad idea for you. I would use galvanized steel, not stainless if you plan on actually using it. Stainless is not good for use underwater. If you want it to be shiny on deck and use it only a few nights a year then stainless is good. Seems you should be able to find some used ones locally? Perhaps you could become a distributor for one of the anchor companies and sell them out of your restaurant! I can here it now "I would like the fish special, baked potato, double vegetable, a rum and coke oh and throw in and a 35 pound anchor on the side, to go please! And make it quick my boat is dragging!"

You make me want to come down and visit. I had a girl friend in college who was from there back in the early 80's I think her father was some big wig in the government, and one of her friends told me to watch out for him! But you know how you can be when you are young, dumb and in love. Luckily I was only in love for a week or so!
yikes! big wig in gov, down here in the 80s? yikes man...not many nice people down here while the war was going on...

but hell yeah Im sure she was lovely and they say love breaks boundaries so good for you! jajaja

Old 12-31-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've made many.
Stainless will eat the first links of a galvanized chain with electrolysis if you leave it down any length of time.
thats very informative...there are no good galvanizers down here so I was pushing towards stainless since I have had many stuff in stainless made down here including my new chainplates!

having said that I havent heard of too many stainless anchors and was wondering if there is that little oxygen and stuff in mud, clay sand we have down here

is there a way to ANODE the anchor to chain connection? to prevent what you are saying

I also have access to wonderful plain old steel...and cheap metal paint...I think this would be the easiest no?

thanks

Old 12-31-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The only thing I have made is deadweight moorings.

1) build a box
2) drop old engine block into box
3) fill box with large scrap steel
4) fill box with concrete
5) insert a couple of galvanized rings
6) let concrete cure
7) drop box in water

For actual anchors I can't help much... Take a trip to the states and carry one home as luggage?

too funny! youll laugh....my crew did this back in 99 before 9/11 with a used OUTBOARD! jajjaajajajajajaajajajajaja

not an anchor though