Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Just the Keurig won't work

Hi All,

We have a perplexing electrical issue that I cannot explain or solve. We bought a single serve Keurig coffee machine in November, took it to the boat and made coffee like it was supposed to. Last week while at the boat needing a cup of Joe, the Keurig would not boil the water. Brought it home, worked just fine. Took it back to the boat where it once again would not work. I tried everything: plugged it in to a different plug, tried tap water and bottled water. I checked the polarity of the plugs, the voltage (116AC) and plugged in everything from a micro wave to a vacuum and heater into the same plug... All work fine. Brought that rascal home tonight and it worked first time and eveytime for the past hour.

The Admiral is convinced it's the boat, I'm not at all, but at the same time, do not have an explanation. Ideas??? (First time it failed was trying to use it at sea on the inverter, then it would not even work on shore power).

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 01-01-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just the Keurig won't work

I was thinking it could be a current draw issue but since you say the microwave and vacuum work, not sure if that is it, but it could still be. I have a 1.5gal shop vac that I used on a 1000W inverter on my truck (while the boat was on its trailer) and the shop vac would work fine. One day, I tried using a dremel and while it would power up, it wouldn't spin when trying to start it. Some how, it didn't pull enough current at first, so I would start the shop vac to get the load on the inverter, then start the dremel to get it up to speed.

Are you using an inverter or shore power? Maybe using something else to draw more current might trigger it to work.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 01-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I also wonder if the Keurig has some kind of thermal protection. It may not turn on if the ambient temperature is below some threshold temperature. It may be a safety "feature".
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

How about a ground fault (GFI) problem ? So I looked up Keurig troubleshooting and found possible additional problems/solutions. Like the cold temp that was mentioned & internal transformer problem, GFI, and more.... Problems With Your Keurig Coffee Brewer: A Comprehensive Collection of Answers and Solutions Interesting.
Old 01-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Can we assume shore power, if you've tested a vacuum and heater in the same plug? If so, try to plug it in directly to the dock pedestal, if there are residential receptacles on it, or better yet, if you have pigtail adapters from the marine plugs. If that works, it's the boat. Do you have other plugs aboard that you could test it in?

If you hadn't mentioned testing other high load items, I would have assumed you are running it off an inverter, which can be very finicky with higher load items, like heating elements. If you are using and inverter, there is probably no solution, short of another inverter. It could be the sine wave vs. square wave thing that gives me a headache.

(as a total aside, I've never liked our Keurig at home. We make espresso every morning and keep the Keurig around for guests. This past week, we rented a place for the holidays, which only had a Keurig, so we went out and bought pods. First time I tried the Melitta brand pods and they were terrific!! We like strong coffee, obviously)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-02-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

slip partner invented the Keurig. They have a model they sell to hotels/models. Smaller and I think less draw then even the mini. Good for the boat. I'm espresso addict like Minni ( grind beans, fancier grinder than machine etc.) Find you can grind fresh beans vacuum bag small amounts and keep frozen. Then make Turkish coffee on boat. Use one or two clicks finer then you use for home espresso. Find hard to make good espresso on stove top. Never get true 8 + bars with good extraction and crema.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-02-2014

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

I too use a Keurig on the boat. The only problem I have is trying to run too many high draw appliances at the same time. I can't run the Keurig and the microwave at the same time or will trip the breaker. Other than that the Keurig has worked flawlessly.
Old 01-02-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

buy one of these and forget the Keurig;

Dog8It, capta, benesailor and 2 others like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-02-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Is this shore power, inverter power, generator power, or ????

Old 01-02-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Is this shore power, inverter power, generator power, or ????
The first time it wouldn't work was at sea using the inverter. All other trys at the boat were at the dock plugged into shore power. I tried several other plug locations on the boat (have 6), all with the same results.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career