Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2005

shipley is on a distinguished road
autohelm recommendations plse

Im in the market for a wheel pilot autohelm that is reliable and not a power hog, for a 34'' sailbaot. Will be used for coastal cruising (Pacific). I have the new Raymarine C70 GPS system so have been looking at The ST4000MK2 but not sure if its worth the $1,000. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I have the ST4000 MkII on my boat and I have been satisfied with it. The rudder angle sensor seems to really help the performance of the system quite a bit in wave conditions. I have used it in both light and heavy conditions but only on coastal conditions. My boat is a 10,600 lb 38 footer.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2005

shipley is on a distinguished road

Thx Jeff - is it hard or any tricks to install?
Old 04-05-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I found the system pretty easy to install. The templates were good and the instrcutions pretty clear and concise. Initial calibration did not go as smoothly as I had hoped but this was mostly related to the characteristics of my boat. The standard settings assume 3 to 3 1/2 turns lock to lock on the steering wheel. My boat only has 1 1/2 turns lock to lock and until we figured out that was causing the problem (in a cellphone conversation with tech support while programing the unit out on the water) I went through a several week period that was very frustrating. According to Raymarine had the rudder angle indicator sensor been installed at that point the system would have quickly discovered the problem and possibly solved it on its own.

Several other issues that occured. For some reason the box of parts that came with my Autopilot was missing a number of parts that were necressary to make the system work (mostly related to the wheel clamps and the linkage for the rudder angle sensor). Because my system was being replaced by BoatUS Insurance after a lightning strike, BoatUS express shipped me a second unit and told me to cannabalize the second unit and send back what I did not use. Much to my surprise, the same parts were missing from the second unit as well. Ultimately Raymarine shipped me the parts directly. Hopefully, that packaging problem has been straightened out by now.

The only other installation issue was that in my case I had to build a fiberglass bracket that allowed me to install the rudder sensor unit with the correct geometry. It was fun building the small mould and producing this one off fiberglass part but it added just one more step to the installation process. The system will work without the rudder angle sensor, but the sensor required the most invention and complexity to install.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 01-06-2008

fixteeth is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at installing a Raymarine Wheelpilot and it has the rudder sensor unit. How did you fabricate the mount? Can you give details, and pictures if you have them? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I installed the new S1 unit on my 32' 1100 lb boat. It replaced a the original 4000 series autohelm. It has worked very well for me, and I found installation to be fairly easy. The hardest part was mounting the rudder sensor. Or, I should say, figuring out how to mount it.

fixteeth - while I used a L bracket made from starboard to mount the sensor on, that may not be applicable with your boat. Depends on the type of steering setup and configuration under the cockpit area where it's mounted.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Fixteeth

Fixteeth,

This is a two year old thread. If you have specific questions I find it's best to use the New Thread button and creat a "new" topic. I know it's frustrating when you do a search and topics match your request but do try and look at the dates of posts you're responding to. This post was originally about a ST4000+MKII and it's no longer even being made and the replacement is the S1 Wheel Pilot.

P.S. try this thread, even though it's 9 months old the equipment being discussed is still being made & there is a good link to one method of installing a rudder sensor..
Raymarine S1 autopilot

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fixteeth-

I'd also recommend you read this post, to get the most out of your time on Sailnet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.