Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Re: Wheel to tiller conversion - new throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
When factory installed (or factory supplied kit in aftermarket) CS included a molded fiberglass box at the aft end of the cockpit with a teak board on top to create a seat. Front of box had a white plexiglass cover for access. Inside the box was a modified radial drive with a fork that went through the transom and around the front face of the rudder. We cranked out 2 CS27 decks a week and installing this optional box was part of the deck assembly process (read your detailed blog on your retrofit -yes, we were the guys that did not pot any of the deck fitting holes, but we did use plenty of butyl tape to seal everything, technology has changed somewhat and builders hopefully know they MUST POT EVERY HOLE)

I've also seen retrofits of push/pull cable through stbd side of transom and on to bracket on rudder, but not factory speced. After 20+ years out of the business I too am amazed at the price of marine hardware.

Ahh, NOW I know what box you're talking about! And thanks for reading my blog - always catches me off-guard when I hear someone actually reads it! I know no manufacturers potted the decks back then - and I'm definitely aware that CS was a big fan of butyl - probably one of the reasons those boats hold up so darn well.

I was thinking about glassing in the transom hole and using that box for the engine panel (on/off/dummy lights), then mounting the shift/throttle on the starboard cockpit side. Still trying to figure out where the panels would best fit, really; This plan is in the very early stages.

If I came up with a better plan for placement of controls and panel, and didn't need that back box, then yes I would remove it and glass over the holes. My cockpit is really overdue for a new non-skid paint job, so may as well paint over some glass work too.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
After 20+ years out of the business I too am amazed at the price of marine hardware.
I am in the business and am sometimes amazed at the prices - like this morning when I priced the controls. List is actually a bit over $900.

But Like I posted they last virtually forever and should not be hard to find used. I would guess many get junked when derelict boats are cut up. Control cables are inexpensive if needed, they are the only parts that actually wear.
Old 01-03-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
Hooo-eeee! I had no idea these things were going to be that expensive. My Edson throttle controls weren't that much, and I thought everything Edson made was priced like diamonds. Definitely going to look into the used market... These ought to be well within reasonable eBay shipping costs.
I was looking for this type of controls for a long time, they are very hard to come by. I found that the best source was eBay, and that is your best bet. You have to look frequently and they are about $100 - $150 and up, they do appear from time to time so you can get lucky - be prepared.

Search for "engine throttle control", filter on "Parts & Accessories" then filter "Boat Parts" as such:

engine throttle control in Boat Parts | eBay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook