Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-02-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Wheel to tiller conversion - new throttle

I'm planning a conversion from wheel back to tiller on my 1977 CS27. The wheel and pedestal just take up too much space, and the conversion is relatively simple on my boat. The part I'm not yet comfortable with is converting my pedestal mounted engine controls back to a side-mount cockpit control.

I currently stop my engine (Yanmar YSB-8) by cutting the throttle. Does this mean I require a separate throttle + shifter, or is there a way to still do this using a single-lever model?

Any specific recommendations on brands / models that have left good impressions?

Thank you in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wheel to tiller conversion - new throttle

You might find an older Morse 2 lever system more to your liking if you don't have a 'kill' cable setup.. but surely there's a fuel cutoff on the engine and all you'd need is a 'manual choke' pull cable kit to rig it up.

Morse used to make a 2 lever system where the levers could be removed and stored off the hub so there was less likelihood of lines getting caught on them.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Premium product, used to install Kobelt product on government, commercial and custom boat installations. Cost is higher than Seastar Kobelt Manufacturing

or

Morse/Teleflex is now SeaStar
SeaStar Solutions

or

SeaStar Solutions

You should be able to use your existing cables (depending on length) on all these as cable ends are universal.

Will you remove the fiberglass box covering the steering yoke?
Old 01-03-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You might find an older Morse 2 lever system more to your liking if you don't have a 'kill' cable setup.. but surely there's a fuel cutoff on the engine and all you'd need is a 'manual choke' pull cable kit to rig it up.

Morse used to make a 2 lever system where the levers could be removed and stored off the hub so there was less likelihood of lines getting caught on them.
The only control that seems to be made in the old style used on sailboats is the one below from Seastar. I just browsed their catalog and it is all I could find. I'm not sure of the price but can check tomorrow.

The other option would be used. There must be some 2 lever controls around in your area. I know there is in Victoria. As far as the cables which are probably original they can be replaced for not very much if necessary. You will likely not need cables as long as the current ones.

As far as I know the throttle, when pulled to the minimum setting, also cut fuel flow to zero for engine stopping. I have basically the same engine as Chris does.

The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
cghubbell (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Premium product, used to install Kobelt product on government, commercial and custom boat installations. Cost is higher than Seastar Kobelt Manufacturing

or

Morse/Teleflex is now SeaStar
SeaStar Solutions

or

SeaStar Solutions

You should be able to use your existing cables (depending on length) on all these as cable ends are universal.
The Seastar uses 33c cables but the Kobelt comparable (#2031) uses the heavy duty 60 series cables. I think the Kobelt is really overkill for a smaller boat.
Old 01-03-2014

Chris

A friend suggested you see Mike at The Store Chandlery in Port Credit for suggestions.

The CH2500P shown above is about $800. Didn't price the Kobelt - it would be more.

Look for used. The cables may need replacing but the levers should last.
Old 01-03-2014

Mason's Chandlery is in Port Credit Marina, Mississauga. There are 1200 slips in that marina so your pickings might be good. Mason's has a garage sale set up behind their store in Port Credit, ON. Being that you are in NY you should also try RCR Yachts - they have 5 locations upstate and might have a used parts bin available. You might also find something at Brewer Brother's Marine in Hamilton, ON. They usually have some dust covered dead stock they are trying to part with.

Original engine controls for tiller equipped CS27 were from Teleflex, both handles were removable, one with black knob, one red.
Old 01-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Will you remove the fiberglass box covering the steering yoke?
I don't have a fiberglass box anywhere - not sure how to answer that one...
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2014
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

Hooo-eeee! I had no idea these things were going to be that expensive. My Edson throttle controls weren't that much, and I thought everything Edson made was priced like diamonds. Definitely going to look into the used market... These ought to be well within reasonable eBay shipping costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Chris

A friend suggested you see Mike at The Store Chandlery in Port Credit for suggestions.

The CH2500P shown above is about $800. Didn't price the Kobelt - it would be more.

Look for used. The cables may need replacing but the levers should last.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Old 01-03-2014

When factory installed (or factory supplied kit in aftermarket) CS included a molded fiberglass box at the aft end of the cockpit with a teak board on top to create a seat. Front of box had a white plexiglass cover for access. Inside the box was a modified radial drive with a fork that went through the transom and around the front face of the rudder. We cranked out 2 CS27 decks a week and installing this optional box was part of the deck assembly process (read your detailed blog on your retrofit -yes, we were the guys that did not pot any of the deck fitting holes, but we did use plenty of butyl tape to seal everything, technology has changed somewhat and builders hopefully know they MUST POT EVERY HOLE)

I've also seen retrofits of push/pull cable through stbd side of transom and on to bracket on rudder, but not factory speced. After 20+ years out of the business I too am amazed at the price of marine hardware.